WARM Thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
First of all I would like to thank Rick Murchison for his direction, a leader by example.

While most divers are putting their scuba gear into winter storage, others are gearing up for a season cold water diving; there are people that continue in their cold water diving. It's a great way for you to remain active in the sport year round. But, you need to remain a Comfortable Alert Diver. “Being cold takes the fun out of diving, and beyond enjoyment, there’s the potential for a serious health threat if you get to cold”(PADI OW page 77).

Being exposed to cold conditions has an effect on your bloods circulation. Usually, blood flow to your skin and appendages is diminished in favor of keeping your vital organs warm. The reduction in circulation happens gradually over the course of a dive or multiple dives. Because of the impaired blood flow to your body's appendages, finger dexterity is reduced. This can lessen your ability to perform certain skills such as mask clearing and the capabilities to adjust straps and belts or operate snaps and clips. Moreover, it is thought that the body tissues of the skin and extremities will have a reduced off-gassing due to the decreased blood flow. Thus, you will have a higher risk of Decompression sickness (DCI). Also, when your body is cold during a dive, your rate of breathing increases, which means your rate of air consumption increases, too. As a matter of fact, it will almost double. You'll end up using more air from your tanks in less time than if you were doing the same dive under warmer conditions. The effects of being cold and minor problems could climax into a real emergency (off the net).

Drysuits are intended to keep you DRY; they don't keep you WARM. Much body heat is lost through the head, This led to the use of neoprene wet hoods by most divers. Full-face masks also reduce the amount of heat loss, because less of the head is exposed. More importantly gloves, whether dry or wet, can make it difficult to manipulate your diving equipment (DIVER - January 1999).

From a poll over half of you that replied stated there is no limit yet to which you would not dive. Then when I asked about the dangers a diver face most responses were towards your buddy. I ask this Why add the hazards listed above to a rather enjoyable sport? We take enough risks just by becoming divers; why voluntary go into a situation where your task loading will put you or your buddy in further danger? There is no room for being macho and there are times to walk away, dedication is not to be confused with deterimination. I just want to restate it's a great way for you to remain active in the sport year round. But, you need to remain a Comfortable Alert Diver.

We find these truths to be self-evident. All divers are created warm. The CAD Manifesto, so impressively created by Fishkiller* states the basic premises and, I note, without a single comma fault (the dreaded CF, used with glee by English Profs). The data is impeccable. The reasoning is flawless.

And, so, we pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our Sacred Honor, along with an ample supply of Oreo Cookies (Nabisco originals only) to this creed: warm, warmer, warmest!

Joewr...thinking good ideas spread easily...like warm peanut
butter!

*Nice job, Fishkiller! A promotion is in order: Vice President and General Manager. How does that sound?

Is that how that quote ends, JoeWR?

I'm not sure that there is a dry suit, er eye in the house! You moved me man...

:tease:

NetDoc,

Fishkiller - well thought out,:thumb: As you said, we always have to remain alert when diving, when we add the added "challenge" of diving cold, we must be aware the inherent risks associated with it.

To paraphase a tv-show "let's be careful out there"

You must keep warm for the reasons you stated. It's pretty easy to do with a dry suit, but I've seen a lot of nutt case wet suit divers out there doing crazy things and occasionally they pay the price for it.

Remember, danger is relative in this sport.

Mike

Fishkiller;

Good points but divers should also be aware of some of the cold-related issues that come with any cold related sport; especially Hypothermia and Frostbite.

With wind chill and other frost factors, getting in and out of the water can be as, if not more dangerous than the diving itself. Wind chill, especially when wet, can make a 10 F day feel like -10 F with just a 15 mph wind. If you are wet (wet suit or wet dry suit), the conduction from the water will make it feel even colder (-15- to -20). Severe hypothermia and/or frostbite can set in in under three minutes in these circumstances.

My rule of thumb is that if you are feeling cold, it is already too late.

Wouldn't task loading be considered relative? I think some of us more northern types would be much more comfortable in cold waters than the southern types because we're exposed to it much more. Near my location i can find some very chilly dives within a couple hours drive all year round. My concern now that we're deeper into fall seem to deal more with the above water preparedness and how to stay warm before and after the dive.

steve

Originally posted by NetDoc
Is that how that quote ends, JoeWR?

I'm not sure that there is a dry suit, er eye in the house! You moved me man...

:tease:

NetDoc,

NetDoc,

Your search engine has let you down! You have confused the mutterings of Octopusius Caesar with those of Jewfishius Caesar !

Joewr...and to think he did not even mention Saladius Caesar's famous scroll, "Musings of Anchovius"...that is really fishy...

Drysuits are intended to keep you DRY; they don't keep you WARM.

LostYooper: How does one stay warm in a drysuit? Remember that by diminishing ones movement can lead to further problems, we all take risk but why add to them?

Fishkiller,

Even though I have never used a dry suit, I understand the theory, I think. It all has to do with heat exchange.

A wet suit does not actually warm you: it insulates you and slows the loss of body heat. Unfortunately the prevention of the transmission of heat is far from perfect. The problem is two fold: (1) neoprene is not a perfect insulator and (2) water "invades" the suit and helps to carry heat away.

A dry suit is a much better insulator since no water is "invading" it. Further as one adds layers on the inside, they act to improve the insulation.

I am sorry to have to tell this to such a respected member of the CAD, but the truth shall set you free...at least, as free as your wife will permit...

Joewr...thinking delta T

Back
Top Bottom