Wanted: Lobster Hunting Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh we got eels too. Big smilin' morays. I can tell you their teeth will shred gloves. Not only that, but their teeth are so sharp that they shred the skin underneath so well that ... well, it doesn't even hurt that much. The California minimum size (3.25) is larger than the Florida size... I think. I'm not sure yours are that much more elusive. I didn't think they were very spooky when I was hunting them. California ones are (evolutionarily) used to otters. We can only use our hands to get them, but if you did it that way in Florida, I expect you would damage the coral a lot.
No matter where or how, lobster hunting is a great fun game and then you take the losers home and eat them.....
OH! Looking at that movie, I see that is a smaller one, not the 11.5 pounder. Mel is good enough to make it look easy and that is a unique place where the bugs are rarely hunted, so they hang out some like that one. Normally they stay back deeper in their holes.
Try http://www.diver.net/seahunt/vids/vids.htm and there is the 11.5 pounder and a vid of him getting 2 nine pounders about 3 minutes apart. It's not usual. YOu would like the 11.5 one.

Last edited:
Oh we got eels too. Big smilin' morays. I can tell you their teeth will shred gloves. Not only that, but their teeth are so sharp that they shred the skin underneath so well that ... well, it doesn't even hurt that much. The California minimum size (3.25) is larger than the Florida size... I think. I'm not sure yours are that much more elusive. I didn't think they were very spooky when I was hunting them. California ones are (evolutionarily) used to otters. We can only use our hands to get them, but if you did it that way in Florida, I expect you would damage the coral a lot.
No matter where or how, lobster hunting is a great fun game and then you take the losers home and eat them.....
OH! Looking at that movie, I see that is a smaller one, not the 11.5 pounder. Mel is good enough to make it look easy and that is a unique place where the bugs are rarely hunted, so they hang out some like that one. Normally they stay back deeper in their holes.
Try Dive Videos and there is the 11.5 pounder and a vid of him getting 2 nine pounders about 3 minutes apart. It's not usual. YOu would like the 11.5 one.

And he will be named Mr. Lobster...

Break the antenna off towards the small end where it's 1/4" or so in diameter, poke the larger side of that small end into the butthole an inch or so, twist a little, and remove. The spines point forward, so putting the back end in assures it will grip the intestine and pull it out.

Wow... thought fo a moment this was a hunting rather than a cooking technique! :rofl3: :no:

Of course this is Florida based info, however the only real change for CA is you have to use your hands only. Otherwise the same basic approach applies.

Wes' 5 Minute How to Catch Lobster Brief

I lived in San Diego for 4 years while in the US Navy and caught lots of bugs out there.
Without tickle sticks and nets it just takes a little more patience and finesse.

When you do get the chance don't try to grab them as much as you "pin" them to the bottom and then bag them. Remember to approach them slowly WITHOUT touching the antenna or you will be busted... sort of like playing the old board game "Operation" where you had to get the bones out with tweezers WITHOUT setting off the buzzer?

The main theme here is DON'T scare them back into the hole ... convince them to come out and come home with you for dinner.

Good Luck! It may seem frustrating at first, however with some practice it will get easier, I promise.

Wes

Catching CA and FL lobsters with no claws just seems unsportsman-like. Especially with a tickle-stick. You guys oughta come up to NJ where you not only use your hands but the lobsters FIGHT BACK...and often win!

:eyebrow:

lobsterDM0811_468x521.jpg

You know RJ, everyone says that until they actually TRY it themselves. The first few dives the lobster will embarass even the most geared up lobster hunter, no matter what sort of kit they bring with them.

It's kind of like that old arguement that Bow Hunters love to make about how "easy" it is to shoot a deer with a scoped rifle. Fact is, I don't know many "seasoned" hunters who can put 5 shots on a paper plate at 250 yards off hand with ANY kind of scoped rifle -- except those who PRACTICE at that range frequently.

Back to lobster, I catch them by hand when they are out in the open, however in the end, it really does not matter how you get them, they all wind up on the grill just the same. And they taste great!

It's kind of like that old arguement that Bow Hunters love to make about how easy it "easy" to shoot a deer with a scoped rifle.

Actually, it's more like trying to hunt deer that SHOOT BACK!

:D

im glad the spotted spiny lobsters off the central Atlantic coast are not so intimidating, RJP.
:blinking:
spotted_spiny_lobster.jpg

Last edited:
I was speaking with a fish and game enforcement officer recently and was surprised to here how liberal the regulation are if you interpret them. No hooked devise is stated , a pole spear was OK but you can not spear with it . Speargun has a barb so it is considered a hook devise . Tickle sticks is not spelled out in the regulations as illegal only in a DFG general article on lobsters . This was one officer and the next may not interpret the law as him .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom