Wanted: Lobster Hunting Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly:
Seeing as how tonite is opening night of California Spiny lobster season(and the Florida hunters send best wishes to our West Coasters!) there is no way we could drown our tails in boiling water. But I do enjoy a Sauteed white wine lobster chunks cooked down and spread on top of a full filet of Hog Fish.

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

But the best and easiest way is still to put the tails on the BBQ, dropped on the dinner plate and drowned in melted butter.

DSC01411.jpg

Again Best of luck to our California bro's and sista's, hope you hit shore with a full bag, Post up your catch reports!!

OMG does that look good.

I usually steam or BBQ my FL Lobster. I will have to try the White Wine Sautee.

TOM

Remeber Lobsters always swim backwards...
So if you see one in the open try to get one hand behind it as a back stop while coming down on the carapus (body) with the other. Your hands will usually wind up around the horns.

If you have one in the whole and have a good hold on the knuckles (baase of antenna) wiggle your bug gently this will help loosen up their tale and leggs as they try to digg in.

"Good Luck"

:D
Most tasty bugs in CA don't have claws, just spines. Second the motion about making sure they swim backwards into the bag. Also, when you come in over the top of the bug, go for the pin, not the grab. Lobsters arent particularly bright, but they are quick. If you try to grab, their first reaction will be to the top of your hand, and they'll be gone by the time you close your fingers. Go in flat palmed and pin them down, then close the grip.

I've also heard that measuring is easier if you let them grab on to the front of your suit, but this is not something i've tried... I think I can tell what 3.25" looks like underwater, so if I get one that I'm reasonably sure is over, I'll just bag him.

As for cleaning, break off the tail and 1 antennae, and use the ant. to go "out the butt" so to speak and most of the innards will follow in one clean (well, not exactly) push.

happy hunting!
Help! New to bug hunting...how do you do the "out the butt" maneuver?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.::D

Thanks!

Break the antenna off towards the small end where it's 1/4" or so in diameter, poke the larger side of that small end into the butthole an inch or so, twist a little, and remove. The spines point forward, so putting the back end in assures it will grip the intestine and pull it out.

At the base of the tail are the "flippers" that fan out. Starting from the outside, sever the flipper from the main part of the tail, leaving the center one. Like a turn key, twist the flippers. This will break the remaining connection from the tail, but leave the waste tract attached to the flipper. Just pull the waste tract out.

At the base of the tail are the "flippers" that fan out. Starting from the outside, sever the flipper from the main part of the tail, leaving the center one. Like a turn key, twist the flippers. This will break the remaining connection from the tail, but leave the waste tract attached to the flipper. Just pull the waste tract out.

This sounds too easy. I will give it a try July 31 then hopefully will forward you my profound thanks. Scott

If you Google on Lobster Hunting, the first return is the seahunt site (sometimes second). There are detailed instructions for catching them and a bunch of recipes too. Ya gotta try Japanese Steakhouse Style. There is also a movie on that page of my friend catching an 11.5 pound bug.
It's at Lobster Hunting

If you Google on Lobster Hunting, the first return is the seahunt site (sometimes second). There are detailed instructions for catching them and a bunch of recipes too. Ya gotta try Japanese Steakhouse Style. There is also a movie on that page of my friend catching an 11.5 pound bug.
It's at Lobster Hunting

Good stuff! Substitute the threat of urchin spines with eels and the fact our lobster are more elusive due to the warmer waters and it's the same game. You seem to grow them bigger there or those guts are just masters!

.... I will give it a try July 31 then hopefully will forward you my profound thanks.

I don't know if I read your post correctly. Either you will be hunting bugs on the 31st {bad} or you will be cutting bugs on the 31st.{good}

Florida mini-season is on July 29th and July 30th for 2009. From July 31st thru August 5th, Florida lobster season is closed. We have a 2 day mini-season, then it's closed, then regular season opens on August 6th. It would take someone smarter than me to explain the years of history on why it's done this way. Only California's seasons are weirder than ours.

I don't know if I read your post correctly. Either you will be hunting bugs on the 31st {bad} or you will be cutting bugs on the 31st.{good}

Florida mini-season is on July 29th and July 30th for 2009. From July 31st thru August 5th, Florida lobster season is closed. We have a 2 day mini-season, then it's closed, then regular season opens on August 6th. It would take someone smarter than me to explain the years of history on why it's done this way. Only California's seasons are weirder than ours.

Google search error. I have thought about the scheduling before but have not researched the history. I am guessing that the reason for the quirky dates are tourism. A lot of folks will come to visit my area and others for the two day event, whereas with just opening day not as much splash so to speak...

Back
Top Bottom