Wanted: Lobster Hunting Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That guy should change his intro to "Hi, I have been diving and smoking pot for the last 30 years...." How many times did he say uh..uhm..and pause and regroup? Christ, if you are going to speak in front of a group, get your speech together!
Other than that...good information

Hey everyone, I am going on my first boat dive to catalina on the 15th. I was interested in hunting for lobster and scallops. Any Suggestions on where to go, things to see, and what to look for when hunting bugs and scallops. I read some great advice on how to handle and hold them. My company is paying for the trip so I am looking to have as much fun as possible and possibly bring some stuff home to my wife since she is home alone pregnant and can't come with and enjoy the fun.

Thanks,
-Paul (PEZ) :huh: :D

PEZ2U2@aol.com

Hi, in Coney Island we just stick our hand in the hole and pull. The dive boat has the permit. We get many 5-6 pounders. Broiled lobster in sea food sauce with shrinp, crab, scallops and of course squid ( calamari). This is fruti de mar. Fruit of the sea. You can broil prepare lobster in pan with garlic and oil. Prepare other fish as you like it. Add vergin olive oil in deep pan. Add crushed garlic, I shave it with a razor blade. As garlic and oil cook add red pack tomatos two cans and can of red pact tomato paste. Cook slow for one hour. Serve over pasta, any type. This is heaven. Dive safe. louie

lhunt99:
If anyone has any tips / technique advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Lots of good advice listed, I'll just add 2 mistakes that I continuously see new bug hunters make.

1. Don't follow each other. The person in the rear never catches anything except a view of your butt for the whole dive. Stay side by side about 10 - 15 feet apart and work your way down the reef. Your light may shine/locate a bug directly under your buddy, that they can't see from directly above.

2. Move very very slow when you approach the bug. I would take a full 15 seconds to move my hand just 3 feet and stop frequently. A spooked bug will take you 10 times longer to get. One key to catching alot of bugs, is bagging it quickly and moving on. Go slow.

This is the way i cook mine.
Boil in water for 10-12 min
I add 1 bottle of white wine(Pinot Grigio)to the water.If your having white wine with the meal,use the same kind.A pinch of salt and a all spice bag(sometimes)from your local store.Add about two cut up lemons and your good to go.

scesarz:
This is the way i cook mine.
Boil in water for 10-12 min
I add 1 bottle of white wine(Pinot Grigio)to the water.If your having white wine with the meal,use the same kind.A pinch of salt and a all spice bag(sometimes)from your local store.Add about two cut up lemons and your good to go.

Seeing as how tonite is opening night of California Spiny lobster season(and the Florida hunters send best wishes to our West Coasters!) there is no way we could drown our tails in boiling water. But I do enjoy a Sauteed white wine lobster chunks cooked down and spread on top of a full filet of Hog Fish.

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

But the best and easiest way is still to put the tails on the BBQ, dropped on the dinner plate and drowned in melted butter.

DSC01411.jpg

Again Best of luck to our California bro's and sista's, hope you hit shore with a full bag, Post up your catch reports!!

Two Tips. 90% of the time lobsters take off backwards. Aim just behing their tail and they will jump into your hand. Get a guage that fits over your lobster light. ( works on 3" dia. UKs and similar flood lights.) This frees up a hand for measuring. I have lost more lobster while trying to measure them then I care to think of. Good Luck!

I know it is off topic, but that Dr. has some great things to say. I also think he seems like a great public speaker and is easy to understand.

Also you can steam you lobster with boiling beerwater. Take your steamer and add your water, pour in a can or 2 of beer and add a seasoning bag made for steaming or boiling seafood.

You can also clean your lobster and cook the parts you want to keep in boiling pasta sauce. It will be some good sauce and pasta with lobster!!! Get some Atlantic City Italian Bread and you are set! At least that is what we do at the New Jersey Shore.

Also, cover LOTS of area- don't stop moving, keep looking. Swim over as much terrain as possible and sweep wide.

I think that 10 lbs overweight idea above is excessive- you shouldn't need that much extra weight to stay down. Maybe 5, max.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom