Wanted: Lobster Hunting Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For lobsters in tight holes I have heard of a tickle stick with a ladies nylon hose stocking attached on one end that entangles the lobster which can then be pulled out and captured. I researched the rules last year but cannot remember the outcome. Anybody?

Tickle sticks are rarely good to use, only if you can tap the tail. By the time your doing this the lobster is anchoring with its tail and will not budge, while your clouding up the entire hole diminishing your viz.

I have been lobstering in Massachusetts since 1992. Tickle sticks are ok under some circumstances, but here is how you REALLY do it.

When you see a bug in a hole/under a rock - make a fist and go into the hole after him.
Bugs are quick and you have to react ASAP, otherwise they will retreat before you can get them.

99% of all bugs cannot get their claw around a fist with a 3-5MM glove on. Making a fist and going "in" is how you will put more bugs into the bag - period. It takes some courage but until you master this technique you will toiling IMO.

This will be the difference from hitting the limit vs. 1-2 bugs per day.

Good luck.

It sounds like California lobster are similar to Florida lobster, which are identical to Caribbean spiny lobster, so I'll throw in my 2 PSI:
  • the real skill comes not in the catching, but in the bagging up. I find if you turn the lobster upside down, it gets disoriented and flaps less, making it easier to bag up.
  • always remember to check all your gauges after either bagging or losing a bug - it is easy to get too excited and lose track of time/depth/air.
  • if you are in areas that have overhangs, remember to look up - amazing how often people swim right under lobsters clinging to the ceiling.
  • if a bug is wedged, and wiggling it from side to side does not work, try pushing and pulling in a sort of figure 8 motion - sometimes putting it further back in loosens it up to enable it to be pulled out.
  • if the lobster lowers its antennae and 'charges' you, back away a foot or so. It will assume it has scared you and come further out to continue to chase you off. Once it is further out in the open, it is easier to grab.

On the other hand, Rhone Man went 0 for 5 this morning (two pregnant females, two undersized, and the only keeper got away!), so maybe the best advice is don't follow my advice!

For lobsters in tight holes I have heard of a tickle stick with a ladies nylon hose stocking attached on one end that entangles the lobster which can then be pulled out and captured. I researched the rules last year but cannot remember the outcome. Anybody?

I am 99% sure that this is illegal. Same as using a mop, or other techniques some old salts told me they used to do.

If they are in a hole that tight, odds are that you are jacking up the reef trying to get them out, so why not move on to the next bug?

I am 99% sure that this is illegal. Same as using a mop, or other techniques some old salts told me they used to do.

If they are in a hole that tight, odds are that you are jacking up the reef trying to get them out, so why not move on to the next bug?

I wasn't going to say it, but yeah. Not as destructive as bleach fishing, but not completely different in approach either.

Back
Top Bottom