WANTED: Broken, Used, UnDiveable Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3. I have searched the local pawn shops and nothing. I am in the midwest so probably much less dive stuff. I like the BC's, I am putting the up on the ceiling with old hoses, etc.

Brad

I was going to suggest hitting your local pawn shops, usually when they get in a "dive gear package" the BCs are totally junk & they're really happy if someone hauls them away.
Looks like ya have enough BCs already though.

I'd send you something, but I'm still diving it. My DM calls me a Relic, but some of my gear is older than he is. I'll let you know when I wear it out, but I'm just getting it broken in good.

Dr Dive

That funny because when I was finishing up my Rescue class this last year two older people ( in their 70's) showed up in some ancient gear and our instructor was telling us to really watch them because our class could easily lead to a real life rescue scenario considering that their BC's were so old they were leaking air and their tanks were easily 20 years old with no hydro or viz on them.

They made it back to shore safely but we were all very surprised.

I'd send you something, but I'm still diving it. My DM calls me a Relic, but some of my gear is older than he is. I'll let you know when I wear it out, but I'm just getting it broken in good.

Dr Dive

That funny because when I was finishing up my Rescue class this last year two older people ( in their 70's) showed up in some ancient gear and our instructor was telling us to really watch them because our class could easily lead to a real life rescue scenario considering that their BC's were so old they were leaking air and their tanks were easily 20 years old with no hydro or viz on them.

They made it back to shore safely but we were all very surprised.

Sorry but this made me laugh, your instructor is misinformed and if he/she thought the gear was unsafe they should have allowed them to dive. 20 yo tanks are babies, there are plenty of steels from the 50's and 60's still going strong. As for the BC's well, there are a good many of us who don't use them at all, properly weighted there is little real need for them in rec diving. Total failure of them is little more than a nuisance to a properly weighted and reasonably skilled diver- tech diving is a different matter. I have serveral regs (as do a lot of others I dive with) that are over 40 and some over 50 yo. Don't confuse old gear with unsafe gear, they are not the same.

If there was no hydro or viz on the tanks how would you know how old they were?

Back
Top Bottom