Wanted: 2 reg sets for wife and i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Klyonh2010

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a couple of regulator sets: 1st, 2nd, Octo, and guages for my wife and myself. Been trying ebay, but keep
getting outbid at last second. Unfortunately, we are on a crazy budget, but I'm pretty sure I could probably get a
decent setup for around $100 or so. If anyone has 2, I can give a max $220 for the pair if they are in decent shape. We live
in Florida and desparately want to keep diving, but renting is quickly putting that option to bed. Not a good time to get into
diving considering I just took a huge pay cut, but we're hooked on it and love it. I've got all the BC's, fins, and other
stuff, but we just need 2 reg sets. Plan to just keep biting the bullet on renting tanks for now.

If you have any good leads or have something yourself, please contact me. Being new to Scubaboard.com, I think responding to this will send me
an email as well. Thank you in advance.

Kendall

Keep in mind that anything you buy used will have to be serviced before diving. That will add another $60-100 per reg set. You will be better off saving a little more and buying a couple of new sets, or buying a couple of used sets from a dive shop where they have already been serviced.

I agree with Dive-aholic. You are talking about the main item that keeps you alive here so not really where you want to go cheap. I would say keep renting until you can put enough back for a quality set. Servicing is key since that will runyou about $20 per stage in parts and $20 per stage in labor. Good luck.

Look into a new HOG set-up. You will not find the deal you are looking for (as has been pointed out thanks to purchase AND service) so the HOG is by far the best deal in town. Just make sure servicing in your area will not be an issue.

I do have to ask......how much are you being charged for rentals and how often are you diving? It is only $10 around here to rent regs.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a guy who will check out and service them for me once I get them and
he has been doing it for 35+ years. He is also looking for me and actually recommended
I post this thread to see what I might get back. He also told me several to stay away from due
to being discontinued or lack of ability to get parts, reliability issues, etc. (ie- Dacor and older
model store brands, etc. of which I won't mention all the names because some are currently
still on the market).

I would be willing to consider single sets for around $100-$150 and then would just have to
wait for the second set. If anyone has a set or set(s) in good shape, please let me know.

Thanks,
K

Oh, and in reply to how often. We are going just about every week or two weeks and the
rental is $12 per ($24 each time plus tax) which is going to quickly surpass what I am
looking to spend. Thanks again, I will also take a look at the Hog you recommended.

You have a very big challenge before you (finding what you are looking for). Good luck. I hope you guys can manage to stay in the water safely.

FWIW I was recently looking for a steal of a deal on regs and found nothing close to what you are looking for in a decent reg. I wound up getting another HOG set-up. I do hope you find it.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really keep your ebay eyes open you can find what you are looking for...how many times a day are you searching for your items? Finding newly listed items with BIN??..If it is less than twice an hour that is why you are getting outbid. I found a us divers conshelf first and second stage with gauges and low pres hose(NO octo) for $46. Found a suunto set of gauges only for $20.. If you have a smartphone the ebay app lets you keep all your watched items right at your fingers. Dont give up..here and ebay are my best two sources for gear....you have to check here constantly too!!! Even more than twice an hour...just my 2cents!! I have found computers here for $25! Josh

hate to give all my secrets away but a good solution for ebay sniping is to become a sniper yourself, search jbid....

Keep an eye on Craigslist. Tons of people gear up and never use the gear. Be patient and selective. It also helps to be first in line.

For recreational diving you could also go with Edge Epics. They are the recreational side of HOG and Edge Gear. I sell both. You are not going to get complete reg sets for 100 bucks. Not new ones. And even if your friend can service them he still has to buy the kits. Meaning you have to buy them. Kits alone depending on brand can run you 40-100 per set(1st stage, second stage, and octo). Can you buy one set now for your wife and save up for one for yourself. You'll still be looking on the slim chance side of finding one reg for what you have to spend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom