For Sale Want to sell and ask some scubaboard member test and review S12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

review for nitescuba s12 dive light

Got the light from Amazon.
It uses a 18650 which is nice as I have too many of them.

It actually comes with 1 protected 18650 so that's nice because it's so hard to come by them nowadays.

I haven't used it extensively for many dives so I can't address that aspect.

But form factor is great for a backup light or a loaner.
Attached a photo with this light with my current backup.

One thing I really like is how the light handles turn on/off:
The button needs to be long pressed to turn it on.
Once it's on, pressing the button only affects brightness, and rotates through high-mid-low-high-mid-low-...
You need to long press to turn it off.

So this means it really hard to accidentally turn it on.

Attachments

• 4290AD4D-D069-450A-8BA1-0475C34798C3.jpeg
    4290AD4D-D069-450A-8BA1-0475C34798C3.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 39
very interested pm me if you are still interested!

Be careful with this, guys. I'm sure minos2014 has the best of intentions. However, I took a free product in exchange for a review last year and Amazon found out somehow. Now I can no longer post reviews to my Amazon purchases.

My incident had nothing to do with this one (different seller and different product), but the offer was basically the same.

I've tried the S12.
I was concerned about the existing Amazon reviews that it would not turn on.
I've concluded that was because the buyers probably did not follow the instructions to clean off the terminal of the battery where the insulating sticky washer was for shipping. It is not just sticky; it leaves a residue when removed. That residue has to be gotten off, too, especially for charging. Since a plain piece of thin cardboard would do the same job for shipping, the sticky washer is a bad idea.
Using it in an Aquarium dive soon, then a dive trip. Seems like a good deal, so far, and it is small!

Well, @SaltyFrog and @tursiops beat me to my points on the initial unboxing and playing around.

I concur that beyond the somewhat unusual long press to turn on / off and the residue from the protector may be tripping up some "less sophisticated" :wink: consumers.

Both issues could be easily mitigated - my suggestions:
  • Update the Amazon listing to highlight the long press (as a benefit) and cleaning the battery terminals as a warning - "free."
  • Update the manual to highlight both. Also "Operation" and "Level Indicator" sections should be close to the beginning and bolder - new packaging run at least.
  • Replace the washer-protector with a less troublesome item - new production run, likely.

Overall impressions:

I believe that this is the best dive-light interface that I have run across so far ...
  • Long press on and long press off make unintentional operation unlikely.
  • In a dive, I frequently change levels and the short press is fine - it is non-critical if there is an accidental level change, but I love that it keeps cycling levels without going off.
  • The very long press for SOS is perfect. I think it is great that it has the capability if required but frequency of usage approaches 0 and I don't want it in the normal usage rotations.
It is also pretty tiny - about 2/3 the volume of my previous Volador 18650 "backup" light and about 1/2 the price, with comparable (to the eye) output, slightly wider and more uniform beam.

Battery indicator is a big plus at this level. If I had my druthers I'd choose the stoplight colors (Green, Yellow, Red - because it is culturally intuitive) like the Tovatec lights, but Big Blue uses the same Blue, Green, Red sequence.

When I can get some pool time, I'm going to try do a multi-light comparison with some beam photos and angle measurements. I'll be adding the S12 to the mix.

I do have a couple questions for @minos2014 With the small size, good power and SOS mode, I'm considering adding it to my "Lost at Sea" kit and would prefer long shelf-life lithium primary cells for the purpose.
  1. Would the S12 run OK with 2 CR123A (3V+3V=6V nominal in series) cells in place of the 18650?
  2. Can you also comment on "OFF" mode drain characteristics for the light - Excluding any self-discharge of the cells themselves does the light draw power when off - how much?
  3. [ETA] Is it safe to dive with it 1/2 turn open (from cranked fully closed) or does the forward o-ring seal against the head threads instead of just radially against the smooth inner barrel of the head?
[ETA] pet peeve - I would suggest that you put the o-ring spec (if possible a standard size number) in the manual for the next revision.

One thing I really like is how the light handles turn on/off:
The button needs to be long pressed to turn it on.
Once it's on, pressing the button only affects brightness, and rotates through high-mid-low-high-mid-low-...
You need to long press to turn it off.

So this means it really hard to accidentally turn it on.

Does it remember the last setting when turning off and back on?
Or does it need to scrolled through the settings?

Sounds like the Sos is not in the normal short press scrolling, that is very nice...

Does it remember the last setting when turning off and back on?
Or does it need to scrolled through the settings?

Sounds like the Sos is not in the normal short press scrolling, that is very nice...
No, it does not memorize your last setting. It always start in the brightest mode.

Yes, having the SOS hard to get to is very nice.

I guess one more question...
What type of switch does it use?
Is it magnetic?
Or through the housing,,,
Some of those are problematic after awhile...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom