want to find buddies near Berkeley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktkt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just moved to Berkeley and want to get out diving soon. I am a beginner, just a few dives post-certification (and that was in a quarry), looking for some experienced buddies. The big catch is that I don't have a car, so I'm hoping to find someone(s) nearby who can provide transportation. Obviously I'll be happy to chip in for gas and also do part of the driving if you want. (Alternatively, I would be up for splitting a car rental with some other carless people.)

My weekends are usually open, and sometimes I am flexible midweek too. Don't have my own gear yet, so I'll need a little notice to get rentals.

I can last at least 35-40min at 40-60ft deep on an AL 80, as long as I'm not finning like crazy. I like slow exploring and staying within reach of my buddy, or at least pretty close.

If all goes well, I should have my wetsuit within a week or two. (Tried on a 3mm by the manufacturer and that was near perfect, so I ordered the 7mm, but I guess you all know that wiggling into a 7mm is a much harder chore.)

Let me know if you're up for it. I'm really excited about getting out and seeing all the little critters.

Welcome to the Bay Area,
There's alsways people coming and going down to go diving... I'm sure you'll find someone to share the ride down with. Just keep the thread alive and hopefully you'll find a buddy or 2

Thanks, will do.

One more note, which came up in a PM -- I'm happy to meet up at pretty much any BART station, as long as we can get tanks somewhere along the way.

Check out the North Coast Divers. We do a beach dive every first Saturday of the month somewhere up on the north Coast or in Monterey.
Go to;
www.northcoastdivers.org
and sign up.

We have several members from the South Bay area and a few in SF. You could probably get a ride with one of them and hit a dive shop on the way up for a tank rental. Petaluma Sport and Dive opens at 4:00 AM on the weekends and I believe they have tank rentals. Some members have multiple tanks and can loan you a few tanks for the day. I'm sure they would even bring them up for you. All you would need to do is reimburse them for the fill.

Thanks, will do.

One more note, which came up in a PM -- I'm happy to meet up at pretty much any BART station, as long as we can get tanks somewhere along the way.

That makes it much easier... will let you know next time I plan to head out. I'll check out North Coast Divers as well.

Thanks, will do.

Bamboo Reef, San Francisco is having a Fun Dive and BBQ on Sunday 9/26 in Monterey. I am planning on going down and have room in my car if interested. Call the shop and you may be able to arrange to pick up tanks at their BR Monterey Store.

Wetsuit delayed, so I probably won't be able to make it this weekend. Too bad!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom