Walter Kidde tanks -- returns, hydrostatic testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benthos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I think Luxfer made the tanks for Walter Kidde but they are not taking them back in the recall. I have one (1986) and it even passed hydro but my shop will not fill it. Does anyone know of a buy back program for these or are we stuck with them? Anyone tried asking Kiddie?

Who know's the scrap value of an aluminum 80???

Rich

Kiddie tanks are different and as a general rule demonstrate less expansion then Luxfer tanks during a hydro test. It's a shame the LDS won't fill it. If it has a current VIP and hydro, you should be able to sell it.

rtavernetti once bubbled...
...Who know's the scrap value of an aluminum 80???

Rich

Call your local scrap dealer. Typical tank is about 32-24 pounds of scrap. Scrap is $0.25 to $0.35 per pound in my local market.

I just had 2 Kiddes vized and filled.

it is a shame that your LDS has jumped on the panic bandwagon and won't fill the tanks.

I would shop for another LDS. If this alloy is sufficiently safe for a firefighter to take them into a fire there is not reason to panic about scuba. Find another LDS and let the old one know that you have taken your business elsewhere.

We need to not be stampeded into buying new tanks for no good reason!!

Kidde tanks have a bad rap. It may be justified in view of a couple of explosions I heard about. Generally, any alu tanks made between '82-83 are looked at with jaundiced eye.

pescador775 once bubbled...
Kidde tanks have a bad rap. It may be justified in view of a couple of explosions I heard about. Generally, any alu tanks made between '82-83 are looked at with jaundiced eye.
Actually the time frame is much larger, as in any tank mfg before 1990 except CATALINA tanks which never used the suspect alloy.
List os suspect tanks:
All DOT-3AL tanks manufactured under one of the following exemptions or special permits: 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, 8422
All composite cylinders manufactured under one of the following exemptions: 7235, 8023, 8115
All Walter Kidde DOT-3AL scuba tanks.
All Cliff Impact DOT-3AL scuba tanks made before July 1990.
All Luxfer 80.8 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S80.8) made before May 1987.
All Luxfer 72 and 100 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S72, S100) made before August 1987.
All Luxfer 80 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S80) made before January 1988.
All Luxfer 50 and 92 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S50, S92) made before April 1988.
All Luxfer 30 and 63 cu. ft scuba tanks (S30, S63) made before May 1988.
All Luxfer 40 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S40) made before June 1988.
All other scuba tanks made in the US before February 1990 (except Catalina).
All scuba tanks not made in the US.

'Suspect' is in the eye of the beholder. The story goes that tanks made from 6531 alloy were at fault. However, it appears that during the years '82-83 something went wrong at the foundry where lead inclusions enjoined the alloy in such a way as to promote crack spreading and sudden failure, particularly in thick sections, eg the neck.

Here's a datum for all. I am the original owner of a 1972 USD aluminum 80 mfgt by ALCAN. I use the tank for shop air, portable source for air tools, etc. It is almost always full or close to it. In other words, it has sat on my shop floor for 30 years, full or air. It has passed every hydro and inspection and is still used frequently. In this capacity it is one of the most useful things that I have owned. I fill the tank from my compressor in case anyone is wondering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom