Walter Kidde tanks -- returns, hydrostatic testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Sounds like "E-Bay" time... :D

Only a sucker would buy these tanks. Eventually, they are going to fail visual, and you are going to be stuck with a useless piece of al. Well, wait a minute, I guess ebay is the best way to go...

Excuse my ignorance...but what is wrong with these type of tanks. And no I don't want to buy any... :wink:

Walter Kidde cylinders were manufactured using the 6351 alloy of Aluminum, which is susceptible to sustained load cracking. That means that eventually, the cylinder will develop cracks in the threads and will be condemned (you wont be able to get it filled anymore). Luxfer and Catalina are both manufacturing AL cylinders from the 6061 alloy of AL (since late 1988 for Luxfer, and Catalina has never made cylinders from 6351), which does not develop SLC. Bottom line is, dont buy any used cylinders from before 6/88, they most likely are the bad alloy.

You might want to look for a shop that is PSI certified and has an eddie current device to check into the possibility of sustained load cracking. Just because it is made of the older alloy doesn't necessarily condemn the tank. So before you throw your tank out get a second opinion.

Megalodon:
You might want to look for a shop that is PSI certified and has an eddie current device to check into the possibility of sustained load cracking. Just because it is made of the older alloy doesn't necessarily condemn the tank. So before you throw your tank out get a second opinion.

In North America a hydro every 5 years is a government mandated test. A visual is a scuba industry test that has no legal validity.
If the people who hydro tanks won't touch it the eddy current test is pretty much a waste of time.

cheers,

wedivebc:
If the people who hydro tanks won't touch it the eddy current test is pretty much a waste of time.

cheers,

Sums up the situation. Time to buy a new set of tanks.

muck63:
Hi all, Just was told today that my 1983 walter kiddie al 80. Will no longer be hydroed ,the place that hydros the tanks will not even look at these tanks any more.
Let me guess, the dive shop told you this?

I'd call the hydro place directly and ask them, I know of no DOT ruling that says these cylinders cannot be tested any longer. I think the dive shop doesn't want to deal with them anymore and is making the hydro shop the fall guy.

In other words, they're lying to you. This is one of the many reasons I deal with a hydro shop directly and cut the dive shop out of the loop.

Roak

wedivebc:
In North America a hydro every 5 years is a government mandated test. A visual is a scuba industry test that has no legal validity.

cheers,

Be careful here! Yes the hydro is mandated every 5 years by both DOT and TC regs...

If the tank is used during the execution of duties it falls under Occupational safety guidelines and IS required to be annually inspected. (Note to SCUBA shops that let thier instructors and DMs use tanks from the rental pool!)

Back
Top Bottom