Walmart (or other) Bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron G.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I had a rolling duffle bag, but decided that its' 12# weight was taking up too much of my total allowed weight.

I'm real tempted to replace it with a lighter rolling duffle from Walmart. I've read favorable posts here about them, but I don't think they carry the specific styles that folks have recommended. The two I see are:

Walmart.com : Travel Concepts Sidney Rolling Duffel Bag, 36" Black : Luggage

and:

Walmart.com : Protege 30" 2-Section Large Rolling Duffel- Charcoal Black & Grey : Luggage

The $30 price certainly seems right and they appear to both at, or just below, the 62" max. dimension allowed by the airlines. (I would have a separate, mesh bag to carry on the boat)

Anyone have experience with either of these bags...or something similar?

I don't mind spending more, but I think one of the things you buy with better (i.e., more expensive bags) is more weight. Also, if a $30 bag will do, that works for me.

Also, what about a large-ish carry-on. I'm thinking a backpack style, but something relatively big to hold my reg, mask, computer....plus stuff I can't fit in my rolling duffle.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

To replace a bag that broke during a trip I bought a bag from Wallie World -- it works just fine.

A couple of days ago we bought two more Samsonite bags at our local CostCo. I've concluded that cheap light bags are, in the long run, better than expensive ones (baggage handlers being what they are!).

I have a bag that a bought at TJMaxx for my scuba gear for the plane, similar to what you show from walmart. inside ThATbag, is all of my gear, inside a a mesh bottomed backpack. This seems to work just fine. It tends to run right at to 50lb limit. If I smile at the counter clerk, they have always let me slide at 51lbs. :)

I have a cheap Totes roller duffle that I've had for close to 10 years. It's been used for dive gear the last 2 years but has always been heavily used.
I have gotten my moneys worth out of it and then some plus not disclosing the fact that it contains dive gear it is less a target for theft.
I also use a roller carry on for my regs, camera gear, masks, snorkels, dive computers and perscriptions. It's amazing how much I squeeze into it.

I have used generic bags for several years and have had 2 or 3 of them over that time. They do not hod up quite as well as a bag designed specifically for diving and the metal parts such as telescoping handles, etc are more prone to salt water corrosion - but they are cheap and you can go through several for the cost of one $180 roller dive bag.

And as indicated above, they do not scream "dive gear - steal me!" like most dive bags whose designers seem to feel the need to either make distinctive or equip with dive flags and logos.

I found that the cheapie bags work great for the price, but I use a baggage strap all the way around it just in case. ( I would probably use it on an expensive bag too)

My latest is a 28" suitcase I bought at Mervyn's for $55. It only weighs 7lbs and comes in right around 45lbs packed. I also take a rolling backpack as a carry on with packed with my laptop, reg, main mask, suit, skin and other extras on the way there. On the way back I pack my reg and mask back in my checked bag.

Back
Top Bottom