Wakatobi, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sirensmyst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have just returned from Bali....a few days before the horrible bombings. But this is not my subject of discussion. I went to visit a resort called WAKATOBI on the remote island of Omenobaa. This was a first of its kind resort making an attempt to preserve the pristine reefs. I was also in the Philippines sometime before. The relation? In both places they dynamite the reef for much needed food. A man, Lorenz, thought something could be done that would benefit both the reef and the village. He found Onemobaa, and a village willing to try. He pays the village to "Lease" about 5km of the reef system, they don't fish it or dynamite it. He employs the villagers at the resort. In the 10 years it took to get permits, convince the government and build the resort, the reef grew and flourished. It is one of the most beautiful and active reefs I have ever seen. The villagers homes are getting better, a school was built and a airstrip constructed. The village can buy food they couldn't afford before and have less need to carelessly strip the ocean. They named the resort Wakatobi...a combination of letters from 4 nearby islands.
It is a great resort to visit, the staff is wonderful and the villagers are happy to see you. The resort brought communication, and electricity. The resort is not a fly by liveaboard...they are there to stay. They can't pick up and move if the reef is no longer good for them. It is up to Wakatobi to make sure the reef survives.
But there is much contraversay over this. While I was there a liveaboard came through named Kararu out of Bali I think. He dropped divers on the reef. The villagers went out and asked them to leave or pay for the permit to dive there as Wakatobi does. They refused. They stayed the night and continued to dive the protected area in defiance.
I understand Marty Snyderman was aboard the Kararu and applauded the action. He is someone who makes his living on the beauty of the ocean....but seems to have a problem protecting it. I think maybe their view is that Wakatobi bought a piece of the reef just for themselves. That was not what I felt while at the resort. No one minded that others dive the reef....but in order for it to work, they need to be in alliance with the project. It is a known fact that the reefs in the world are dying....this might be a small chance to hang on. I would like to see this kind of relationship between the resort and the village in the Philippines. They are distroying the reef by miles every day there....it is an amazingly beautiful reef system. Though the government banned the use of dynamite, they don't have the manpower to patrol it. There is still much information....but I wonder if anyone out there has views on this? I may not answer right away....I am not at a computer during the day much.....but I welcome any thoughts.

Enjoyed your notes on Wakatobi.... my wife and I leave in 49 days 21 hours 47 minutes (you get the picture) Since you were there last October, I was curious if you remember the air and water temps.... we are trying to decide if we should take our 3mm's or our 5mm's..... my bride of 32 years get chilled easy....we just spent 3 weeks in Belize doing 3 trips with P H and after about 40 dives she started chilling fast, so I am sure will go with her 5.... but I just am not sure....????

Regards,

It should go without saying that liveaboards visiting the reefs do pay as the resort does... This is common in many countries - normally you pay to a national park authority, there, you pay to the locals; not the worst thing, I'd say... This way, you know where the money goes.

These liveaboards are so expensive, I can't imagine that they can't afford paying a certain sum for permission... And I don't think the villagers would demand that much.

I wished there would be more idealists like Lorenz.

Paying to dive reefs isn't that uncommon. Several south pacific nations state that owners of villages also "own" the surrounding water and reef area. You want to dive, you pay.
Furthermore, Kararu has dived in other areas of Indonesia that they have to pay to access, so I'm suprised at their attitude.

Phil:
Enjoyed your notes on Wakatobi.... my wife and I leave in 49 days 21 hours 47 minutes (you get the picture) Since you were there last October, I was curious if you remember the air and water temps.... we are trying to decide if we should take our 3mm's or our 5mm's..... my bride of 32 years get chilled easy....we just spent 3 weeks in Belize doing 3 trips with P H and after about 40 dives she started chilling fast, so I am sure will go with her 5.... but I just am not sure....????

Regards,

Take the 5 mil. I was there in April last year, and the water was warm, but the DMs were saying that later in the year they pour hot water down their wetsuit necks when they get back on the boat they're so cold.

I'm taking my 5 to Bali when I go next month and in October.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom