WAH! My LDS closed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was the shop that 'closed'?

Tex, it was Aqua Azul, out of Wichita Falls, Tx.

Tex, it was Aqua Azul, out of Wichita Falls, Tx.

I feel your pain....hope the 'dive club' idea takes off and will offer you folks some relief of loosing the shop. :wink:

Sorry to hear that. Sadly, this seems to be the industry trend. :( The core of your or any other LDS business plan usually isn't to make their money on fills or repairs, but when retail dollars are diverted to on-line shops the loss of those convenient fills are one of the consequences. Suddenly paying 15-20% more for a regulator, BC or tank doesn't sound so bad.

I'm looking at starting a dive club and getting a "group" compressor. The former shop owner has even suggested a new club, so he may be prone to helping with the air issue. We'll see.

Why not have the dive club be the store? Let the old owner liquidate the hard goods and then let 'the club' take over whatever brand licenses/franchises he sells and the compressor for a nominal fee. Whenever a club member wants new gear they get it at cost since y'all own the store, so to speak. Use whatever club dues you have to pay the current owner a bit to keep the books since he obviously knows how. All the club members, err I mean investors, can also take a nice little tax break on the losses every year. The current owner pockets the proceeds on the current equipment, gets a small sum for the business shell, has a small stipend for book keeping, and gets the same breaks all the club members get without the risk/headache of trying to keep the store making a profit. Seems like a win-win for all involved.

Sorry to hear that. Sadly, this seems to be the industry trend. :( The core of your or any other LDS business plan usually isn't to make their money on fills or repairs, but when retail dollars are diverted to on-line shops the loss of those convenient fills are one of the consequences. Suddenly paying 15-20% more for a regulator, BC or tank doesn't sound so bad.

There ya go.

Very much industry trend..Stores close for they see that the number people that they taught in the early 80's may have been enough to support the store with their classes and gear purchases.Now they may teach more people but gear sales are way down.Not enough to keep the door open.
Now because everyone wants cheap they go to the internet store and then ask on here how to assemble it.
Reality is if you plan on diving as a life long or even a long term activity(5 years) it is less expensive to go to a lds.When the stores close and an airfill is a 2hr or more drive away figure how much it costs you now.Yes people can get their own compressors,not many though would want to go through the effort it takes to maintain one or the costs.They will not be diving local and perhaps do their 1 trip a year to resorts,then just drop out.
Without a local lds now try to get certified as a new diver in your neighborhood.For the most part it would be unlikely.So less new divers in the activity, means less gear sold so what gear is sold new, the price,even for the online stores,would go up to make up the loss of volume.
Local store here in Westchester -town of Portchester-in business since 1973 realized his gravy days are over for he was teaching more people now than in the 80's and making less on sales,so he closed.Its happening everywhere.Why teach people to dive and they in turn support the online stores?It does costs $ to go diving,if you cannot accept that take up a different activity.Perhaps the smart lds should increase the cost of a ow class to a higher cost so it makes up for the loss of income from sales. Who among you are you willing to pay $900. -$1200. for an ow course?

Reality is if you plan on diving as a life long or even a long term activity(5 years) it is less expensive to go to a lds.When the stores close and an airfill is a 2hr or more drive away figure how much it costs you now.

No, that's not the reality for the majority of divers who don't live in BFE at the mercy of the one LDS within a 60 mile radius. Most dive sites in this state have compressors on site, anyway.

This whole presumption that one must charge high gear prices to make up for classes, fills, and service is wrong. There are plenty of shops that have shown you can charge competitive prices on gear and provide all those other services and be profitable.

Sorry to hear about the LDS closing Guba. I'm pretty lucky living in Myrtle Beach as I hear there are a number of shops around here. Still, I've got a LDS I like (Nu Horizons Dive and Travel), they treat me well and have too many things to list that I like about them. If they closed I'm sure I'd feel pretty lost.

The opportunity has come to free yourself from the clutches of the beast, buy a compressor and live free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom