WAH! My LDS closed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Before you think I'm just crying because my favorite LDS closed, let me explain that it was the ONLY LDS for forty miles in any direction (and that other one is forty miles if you happen to be traveling south. It's over 70 miles to another dive shop in any other direction).
Sure, I can get my gear online, but those air fills are tough to get by mail or UPS. I've already hit up the local fire dept about air fills (I was a member of the dept for 27 years), but they use Scott packs and bottles that use 2100 psi. They're not wild about having to re-set their automated equipment for higher pressures. Still, if I approach them just right...

I'm not really looking for solutions...just a place to vent. It's awfully inconvenient when an LDS closes, but I bet it's a lot more trouble for the owner. It's a crying shame.

Before you think I'm just crying because my favorite LDS closed, let me explain that it was the ONLY LDS for forty miles in any direction (and that other one is forty miles if you happen to be traveling south. It's over 70 miles to another dive shop in any other direction).
Sure, I can get my gear online, but those air fills are tough to get by mail or UPS. I've already hit up the local fire dept about air fills (I was a member of the dept for 27 years), but they use Scott packs and bottles that use 2100 psi. They're not wild about having to re-set their automated equipment for higher pressures. Still, if I approach them just right...

I'm not really looking for solutions...just a place to vent. It's awfully inconvenient when an LDS closes, but I bet it's a lot more trouble for the owner. It's a crying shame.

You could always buy big LP tanks and just live with the lower pressure.

Your gas is probably still no further away than any of your decent dive destinations. If your area will support a good dive shop, it should just be a matter of time before something moves in. Or you could make your shop an offer on that compressor.

That sucks....I have a LDS (locally of course isn't that what the "L" stands for) and the next closest one is about 60 miles away. This is why I don't mind spending a little more at the LDS for some things. I tell them all the time I need to give them some money every now and then so that they stay in business.

S. Nagel

You could use doubles at 2000 and achieve similar results as a single at 3000 (you'd have a touch more...)

Do they want to sell thier compressor?

I'm looking at starting a dive club and getting a "group" compressor. The former shop owner has even suggested a new club, so he may be prone to helping with the air issue. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom