WAH! My LDS closed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What he means is manufacturing unit costs decrease with volume. A manufacturer can make 100,000 regulators at a lower unit cost than they can make 50,000 regulators. Whether or not they pass on the savings to the consumer is another matter.

Or, as in the scuba industry, we just add a few more manufacturers (distributors). If you want to enjoy the savings, you'll probably need to go to the internet.

Clambake has nailed it when it comes to the value of the LDS. Here's a simple economic formula, and folks who have never managed a business may not understand it, but it's a fact of economic life:

More divers = more demand for scuba products : more demand = lower prices
fewer divers = less demand for scuba products : less demand = higher prices (even "on-line")

Until Leisure Pro and other on-line suppliers of scuba gear can figure out how to train and certify divers on-line, all on-line buyers should be praying the LDS doesn't go away. You want to know who else prays the LDS survives? The on-line scuba gear providers. If it wasn't for the LDS certifying divers, they wouldn't even exist. You kill the chicken...you don't get any eggs.

Divers were being certified before there were LDS's and online sellers. There will always be instructors, they don't need the LDS.

In this thread, and in many other threads on ScubaBoard, there is lots of discussion about the health of the scuba diving industry and the constant on-line v LDS "support" discussion. After reading through this thread, I took a look at the latest Leisure Trends Dive Industry Distribution study and came to a couple of personal conclusions. Don't know if many will agree, but the data tends to say it best.

Of the 1585 local scuba stores, OVER 1/2 HALF of them have total retail (equipment, training, travel) sales of under $280,000 annually. With the cost of operating a retail store these days, I don't see how these guys are able to make ends meet. EVEN IF you paid them the full retail (or retail plus, as some like to do it), I don't think, in the long run, it will make much difference in the survival rate of many local stores.

Many of these stores in in markets that would NEVER really be able to support a specialty sporting goods store, much less scuba diving with it's low market penetration. Many of these stores were business mistakes on the first day they opened. The fact that they fail is not surprising.

Consumers demand price, quality, and delivery performance for their retail dollars. If you are unable to supply all three of these, you will fail in the retail business. Unfortunately, the local dive store model almost never supplies all three at once.

Oh well, just my opinion.

Phil Ellis

Phil I think you just about summed it up. One good thing about it though is it will eventually make more room for the online/local entrepreneurs to offer what the diving public really wants.

Phil I think you just about summed it up. One good thing about it though is it will eventually make more room for the online/local entrepreneurs to offer what the diving public really wants.

RiverRat: Some folks, ScubaToys, Scuba.com, and yes, the much maligned Leisure Pro, are already giving divers what they want: no BS, great selection, good pricing, and good service.

In the coal regions of NE Pennsylvania we have few good local stores, they all seem to bad mouth each other, and the internet, and whatever brand or agency they don't carry. Since I get to NYC every couple of months I always stop @ LP. I'm way beyond the "They are not authorized dealers. Where are you going to get your tanks filled." It seems that the LDS "old model" stores are doomed. Sad, maybe true.

That is why we are doing what we are doing. The little town I am in could NEVER support a specialty scuba store. Of course, I didn't realize that until I have been open for two years and my bank account was drained. :eyebrow:

Phil Ellis

That is why we are doing what we are doing. The little town I am in could NEVER support a specialty scuba store. Of course, I didn't realize that until I have been open for two years and my bank account was drained. :eyebrow:

Phil Ellis

Well you're on the right track Phil. I've ordered a few things from your shop and your guys were great to deal with. Excellent service. I look forward to keeping you on my list! Merry Xmas!

This might be in bad taste but... Did you avoid the draw of cheaper prices online and actually support your local shop? I might pay more for what I have but I do my best to always support my local shops.

I did from '87 to '91. The shop still closed.

Divers were being certified before there were LDS's and online sellers. There will always be instructors, they don't need the LDS.

Really? Exactly where are folks going to get their gear serviced (without paying for shipping and insurance both ways and waiting a couple/few weeks for turn around WITHOUT the benefit of available loaner gear), their tanks filled, and check out/ try on for size the gear that they are going to then buy on-line without your LDS? Where are instructors going to outfit their students with rental gear for check-out dives?

And I am still waiting for concrete examples of how on-line retailers have advanced the sport - other than undercutting the LDS under the guise of providing "bargains" to an existing diving population that said on-liners play no role in recruiting or certifying.

...................other than undercutting the LDS under the guise of providing "bargains" to an existing diving population that said on-liners play no role in recruiting or certifying.

Actually there is a LOT of recruiting that goes on right here on SB. Lots of manufacturers, marketing types, instructors etc. interacting. And there are many combo LDS/online shops on the net that are kicking ass and certifying divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom