Vyper air fail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Galileo Sol is in repair for losing pressure signal as well. Fortunately it's still within the 2 year warranty period. It seems to a weakness of the wireless system and is an argument for carrying a backup analog SPG and having a backup computer in case you need to send your unit for repair.

This is the second time my viper air has shown "fail" instead of reading my pressure. Had I not had a backup SPG yesterday I would have had to call my dive. I thought once I hit the water it may start working...it never did. I'm going to give it one more shot this morning. It worked fine on the first tank, the problem started when I switched tanks, it never picked it up. Any suggestions?
I am seriously considering the Atomic Cobalt. I like the way it just hooks up in a LP port and no transmitter. Can anyone tell me how they like their Atomic Cobalt? At the moment I am very disappointed in my Vyper Air

Why did you think that it would start working once in the water? The pairing/transmission has nothing to do with water.

That said when I was diving with a transmitter my SOP was the following:

1) Make sure the valve is closed.
2) Make sure the regulator is purged.
3) Place computer next (2" away) to the transmitter.
4) Turn air on
5) Wait 5-10 seconds to for pairing
6) Read cylinder pressure.

Only twice did I have it not pair.

I like the way it just hooks up in a LP port and no transmitter.

PS if you hook the Cobalt to the LP port yer not going to be very happy either :shakehead:

I dive a vyper air. I had a similar issue, changed batteries and issue was resolved.

I had problems with my Datamask once. Replaced the battery in the transmitter and it was fixed no further problems. The SPG is in my divebag if I need it.

That was a typo on my part about the LP connection. I do understand in hooks on HP port. With that said, we tried everything listed above and the results were the same. As far as "why did I think it would pick up in the water" it has before.

I have the black Vyper Air as well and it happens every once in a while to me too. You either go back to Dive and whatever mode you wanted or you go into settings and change the transmitter code. Usually changing the transmitter code will work. Make sure the valve is fully opened and if the above two methods do not work, press the purge button on your 2nd stage once or twice to get the transmitter to wake up. If that still doesn't work, try taking a few deep breaths from your 2nd stage. Should be working by then. If not, lift cylinder high above your head, turn it upside down so that the first stage faces the ground and release. :D

These and similar issues are why we chose to ultrasound instead of radio frequency for the Lynx-AI computer. Plus the Lynx T1 transmitter is water proof (you can drop the transmitter down to 200m not connected to any tank, no problem).

But a backup SPG is always a good idea.

Eric Fattah

I consider a backup SPG essential with the wireless system. Even when my Galileo is working right it takes a couple of minutes before it shows pressure when it's turned on. When I open the valve I want to know the pressure and not have to wait to turn the thing on. And when it loses the signal during the dive it's one more thing to worry about.

I had an issue with my Vyper Air and transmitter this weekend, too. When I first turned my tank on, it read a little over 1000 psi. I thought the dive shop had screwed up and given me an empty tank, but then it slowly crept up to about 3200 over the next few minutes. It responded well, dropping the psi when I purged both second stages and when I inflated the BC, so I decided it was fine, and either the first stage or the transmitter itself might have had a slightly stuck diaphragm or something. Anybody ever seen that happen before? I'm heading out for a trip again this weekend, and I think I might put the reg on the tank (I rent reg and tank) with my transmitter before I leave the shop, see if it happens again, and ask the shop owner to take a look at it if it does. It had been over a month since the last time I used it before two days ago.

We did two dives, both no deeper than 25 feet, and everything was great until the very end of the second dive when the computer momentarily flashed between 816 psi and FAIL. It only did it for a minute or less, and then started reading just fine again, but we went ahead and ended the dive (we were planning to stop at 700 psi). We were hanging around right at the thermocline, so it's possible that the constant temperature change may have confused the computer because of the constant change in pressure, but I'm not sure. On the surface, it was perfectly normal, except that when I turned the tank off and purged from the second stage, it didn't drop the pressure reading until I detached the reg from the tank. I would have thought as soon as I turned the tank off and purged it would have dropped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom