Vortoberfest V - 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to worry, Agent 99 . . . we can find a spot for ya!!!

the K

I sure hope that the weatherman is lying or things change for the better:

Ponce De Leon, FL Forecast Days 6-10

Friday, Oct 9
03.gif

High: 86 °F RealFeel®: 95 °F
Some sunshine with a shower or thunderstorm possible; warm and humid

Friday Night, Oct 9
12.gif

Low: 74 °F RealFeel®: 84 °F
Mostly cloudy, very warm and humid with a couple of showers

Saturday, Oct 10
15.gif

High: 82 °F RealFeel®: 90 °F
Mainly cloudy and humid with a couple of showers and a thunderstorm

Saturday Night, Oct 10
18.gif

Low: 68 °F RealFeel®: 67 °F
Warm with rain

Sunday, Oct 11
18.gif

High: 81 °F RealFeel®: 84 °F
Periods of rain

Sunday Night, Oct 11
12.gif

Low: 67 °F RealFeel®: 68 °F
Considerable cloudiness and warm with a couple of showers

I sure hope that the weatherman is lying or things change for the better:

I hope he is wrong too. I would hate to get wet. Looks like I may need an A/C unit.

Well they ALWAYS have to throw the shower things in there just to cover their collective butts.

the K-umulo Stratus

Vortex is much improved since Shane and his staff took over management. Tom Smedley stays in the lodge every Fest. There is a hotel right off of the exit in Ponce DeLeon, it is ok for about $45/night. I like "roughing it" and stay in my tent. Actually I bought a new one so I have a 4 man tent available if you need to use one! It's perfectly fine, I just didn't want to have to "crawl in and out!" I will be heading in Thursday night and will be at site 8A. My tent will have a large shark on top!

Just let me know!

Carolyn:shark2:

Hey, Shark Woman, just thought I'd let ya know that Net Doc and one more may be diving with us.

the K

If all goes well, I will reach my 200th dive this weekend!! I have 196 now and 40 of those are cave dives :D

I'll probably be getting there around 10 AM Friday. I'm not sure if I'm staying the night since I might have to work Saturday morning. I'll know more about work hopefully tomorrow. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

I thought I would throw out some helpful info for anyone wanting to dive Cypress Springs during Vortoberfest. There is a canoe rental place right at the culpepper landing launch called Canoes 4 U. I don't know their prices, but I do have their phone numbers if you want to call them. Their numbers are (work) 850-535-0145 (cell) 850 532-8675. Another option is renting a Canoe at Vortex and driving it over there.
For those out there who haven't dove Cypress yet, it is located in Vernon, Florida which is the next exit after the Ponce de Leon exit (depending on which way you are driving). It's probably about a 40 minute drive from Vortex, but well worth it.
006_correction.jpg

On another note, I have been keeping an eye on NOAA's Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service for the Choctawhatchee River, which affects Morrison Springs. It looks like all of this rain we are forecasted to get is going to push the Choctawhatchee river levels up to almost the action stage of flooding. but it looks like the levels are predicted to start falling. I would guess that Morrison will be pretty crappy on Friday, but may be decent by Sunday. I think I will still take a peak each day to see if it will be divable. Here is the chart I am talking about. It is current as of Oct 5th, 7:00pm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom