Vortoberfest V - 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vortoberfest V will be held October 9-11, 2009

I have been cruising lots of threads looking for answers, but its probably easier to just ask.
What is the history behind the word Vortoberfest? (Vortex....October....anything else?)
How is this event organized?
Is it an official event that the city is aware of...or devised by the city? requiring permits or licenses etc. Or it more of a grass roots movement that started with diving buddies?
Is there an official purpose or mission statement?
Other than fun and fellowship is there an official goal?
The date was recently moved, so...is it usually a different weekend in October?
How many folks attend?
It appears some folks are at Vortex Springs and others at St. Andrews state park and still others at hotels...Is there an official registration or home base?

Is it always near PCB and/or Vortex Springs?

I read where all are welcome, so if we are able to go (we probably wont get a camp site at this late date) are there any official instructions or guide lines?

I have found some answers wading thru the tons of posts.

Any and all help appreciated. I look forward to reading lots of different folks views.

Only if a gag and duct tape is used.

that just gets her excited.... you're gonna have to do better than that!

I'm kind of more into the whips and leather. I can't give orders with a gag in my mouth and that duct tape hurts coming off.....or at least that's what I've heard. :wink:

This sounds like FUN. Are OW divers allowed in here? What are the experience levels required. I have never been to Vortex.

This sounds like FUN. Are OW divers allowed in here? What are the experience levels required. I have never been to Vortex.

There is a basin for OW, there is a nice cavern and cave and there are other great springs close by.. Your intro so a dive at JB is only 45 minutes away.

You have no idea. (and Heidi will be there too!)

Let me guess. A life size cut out poster on cardboard that can stand up by itself? I would say blow up doll but I'm not sure even you could pull that off Docc :D

...What is the history behind the word Vortoberfest? (Vortex....October....anything else?)
Five years ago The Kraken suggested it might be fun to gather at Vortex for Oktoberfest; I said "Let's set a date and do it" - and Vortoberfest was born.
We had so much fun we decided to make it an annual event; after the third one some of the participants (I think Lives4sharks and Denise were key players) decided we needed to add a Springfest as well, so now we have two annual events going at Vortex.
...How is this event organized?
Organized? surely you jest! :)
...Is it an official event that the city is aware of...or devised by the city?
City? Surely you jest! :)
...Is there an official purpose or mission statement?
Official? Surely you jest! :)
The date was recently moved, so...is it usually a different weekend in October?
No, this is the originally set date (see first post in this thread).
How many folks attend?
It appears some folks are at Vortex Springs and others at St. Andrews state park and still others at hotels...Is there an official registration or home base?
...Is it always near PCB and/or Vortex Springs?
Well, it is Vortoberfest...
...I read where all are welcome, so if we are able to go (we probably wont get a camp site at this late date) are there any official instructions or guide lines?
As for getting a campsite, ask, and ye shall (most likely) receive.
Glad I could help :D
Rick

Thanks!
We stopped by Vortex on the way back from PCB. It seemed lovely. We hope to dive it soon, but not during Vortoberfest 2009, because I forgot that I had already committed to aBDay party.

The plan was to show up but the pig flu may have gotten to me...

Organized? surely you jest! :)

City? Surely you jest! :)

Rick

Just what I was thinking, The only official organized thing about it, is that it's unofficially disorganized! :rofl3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom