Vortex springs....has anyone dove this site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMH777

Reaction score
I Work down in Florida one week every month. I was wondering if anyone has dove Vortex springs and if you have how was it. Also if anyone lives close to the Tallahassee area. I will be taking my dive gear each time I am down there. I was also wondering about Ginnie Springs.

Well...can't speak for Vortex....but Ginnie is a great dive(s).

We FL divers just made a recent trip there, and you can find a bunch of pics from the trip over here (check towards the last pages).

Give us a hollar if you're looking for people to dive with...I know Kurt is itching to go back to Ginnie...and I wouldn't mind going back to pay him and Lance back some of the pictures I owe them :wink:

Vortex is pretty big for a Florida spring basin, with several training "caves" sunk in it. There is a real cave as well, most of it behind a locked gate.
It is crowded on weekends with open water classes, who kick it up pretty badly, but beautiful and clear early in the mornings and most of midweek.
It's $25/day for diving. Air fills on site, no Nitrox or Trimix. Open water max depth 50 ft; cave max depth 118 feet; 110 feet deep at the locked gate.
Water temp is 68F 365 days a year.
Anything else?
Rick

checkout my website for photos of vortex, there is also a link to their homepage there. IMHO it was a great dive and I am planning another trip over there. I was wanting to hit Ginnie as well but they dont allow solo diving, so I guess I will have to give my money to the other springs in the area. For the record my computer read 66 degrees for all 18 hours I was underwater. Another note is that night dives really arent. They have a powerful lighting system topside that is so bright that I turned off my light and completed the dive without my handheld light.
I also wrote a trip report on it in the north america section if you wanted to do a search for it.

Email me when your down, jviehe@comcast.net and we'll dive. I don't like vortex though. It's too fake. Everything is imported. On the other hand, if your cavern trained, it has a very safe cavern, with a lighted mainline, and air bell at max penetration, 400ft. You can get to 110ft depth too. It's worth one trip I supposed, but check out Morrison near there for a good natural dive, and Cypress Springs, accesible only by boat, is amazing.

www.vortexspring.com

http://www.geocities.com/krisl_1999/bumper_sticker.html

I have not dove it in a couple of years. I would like to do a dive their, with a night dive.

When I just want to get wet, I hit Morrison. Acouple of weeks ago it was low vis and I was soloing. I had a very large gator swim a couple of feet over me covering me with silt in the basin. Would not recommend it for night diving.

I want to hit the jetties this week, tides will be good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom