Vortex Spring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allenwrench:
Is cave safe for OW divers? Can they carry lights or are lights not needed for this dive?
No cave is safe for OW divers. Many folks venture into Vortex's cave, back to the gate, with only OW qualifications and OW gear, and about once every five years we haul a body out. Last one was three or four years ago, so we're about time for another Darwin candidate to manage to get stuck in a side passage or run out of air too far in to swim back out. But of course many thousands make it in and out successfully for each one who doesn't, so on any given dive any given OW diver has pretty good odds of being ok.
But the answer remains No! - it is not "safe."
Rick

allenwrench:
Thanks. I'm surprised it gets so silty. I thought it was very large and not subject to much viz problems.

How is it in early May? Tons of students or do they start in June?

There are often ton's of students there. I found that getting in the water really early (7am or 8am) or later in the day (5pm or 6pm) you've got the place more to yourself.

As for the silt, they've put down some cloth/rubber matts in the shallow areas that greatly help with the silt problem. Last time I was there there had to be 200 people there and the silt wasn't near as bad as I expected it to be. you had 30-50 of vis with all those people there.

allenwrench:
BTW, who runs Morrison spring? Is it regulated or are solo divers allowed? I had trouble at many regulated springs on my last trip that did not allow solo like Troy and Devils Den, even though I have redundant air supply.

It's not privately owned anymore. the state of Florida owns it and Walton County runs it as a county park. No regulations. However I wouldn't reccomend diving by yours3elf there in case of an emergency. Not much in faciliities either. just a picnic shed and a block house that used to be the dive shop which has bathrooms on the far end for public use. (bring your own TP).

Morrison also is a "locals" hangout. So you'll have folks who live there swimming, boating, etc. You'll want to use a dive flag as lots of local fishermen launch their boats directly from the beach backing their trailers in the water)..

This past October the county met out there to discuss changes at the park which were to include some new facilities and a seperate boat loanch for boaters to seperate swimmers and boaters for safety purposes. So far, nothing has been started at the site for any of the changes.

I agree about the cave at vortex, even though its lighted and has a safty line(cable) in place I would not recomend anyone that dosent not have training or experiance in overhead enviroments trying it out.

ianr33:
Well if you like a cave with a thick rubber hose for a mainline and christmas tree lights in it then maybe. Not exactly a wilderness experience :D It might be better after the locked gate?

Morrison was MUCH more to my taste

I'm talking about behind the gate. I've never dived any of the cave, my dive ends at natural light - ie, I don't go follow the cave left after the cavern. From what I 'hear', its nice.

I preffer Morrison as a dive as well, much more natural looking.

allenwrench:
Is cave safe for OW divers? Can they carry lights or are lights not needed for this dive?

Get training for the cave. You can carry lights but I wouldn't go past the cavern area.

If you're only open water certified I would pass. There are plenty of other springs. I dove it on a trip to Panama City. In my opinion it actually ranks below the IN quarry I got certified in. Its not a bad place but it is TINY. You end up swimming in circles with other people all over the place.It ends upo feeling like you are in a pool. I don't need to pay $32 to swim in a pool. I've heard the cave is worthwhile and an okay place to get certified but I won't go back until I'm doing a cave course.

Miranda

Plenty. However many require a cavern card. Head over to Troy springs which is also quite nice. Rte 27 out of Tallahasssee will take you there. If you can take a small detour south, head to Ginnie Springs. $32 but WELL worth the admission price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom