Vortex Spring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any feed back Vortex spring. Is it a worthwhile dive to make a side trip to when in Florida?

Thanks

How far to the side???

It depends. Depending upon what time of the day and what time of the year you get there, you can have conditions that feel as if you're diving in air or, if the students have already arrived, it can be rather silty.

This time of the year there are herds and herds of classes descending upon the place. Around 10 in the morning it resembles a small pool full of tadpoles!

But, all in all, it's a good dive venue.

the K

allenwrench:
Any feed back Vortex spring. Is it a worthwhile dive to make a side trip to when in Florida?

Thanks
No, but Morrison Spring is, and only 5 miles way.

I hear the cave at Vortex is nice, it might be worth a look if you are cave cert'd.

Morrison is definately more natural looking in the OW sections, nice big cavern too.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I hear the cave at Vortex is nice, it might be worth a look if you are cave cert'd.

I believe that cave is sidemount. I need to get a map of that thing one day.

Eventually it is, but you can back mount it for a goodways from what I understand. Certainly backmountable to 100' to the gate, as OW people often do it... I've personally never past the first curve to the left after the cavern area.

I think that Vortex is worth a trip if you're close by and have never been there. I wouldn't drive too far out of the way though if you're on a tight schedule or you've already been there. It's located just 10 minutes north of I-10 if you're driving the interstate through the panhandle.

They've recently raised their price from $25 to $32, but it also includes 1 free air fill in the new price. Vortex is a great spot for beginner dives in a calm clear environment. the main basis is 35 feet deep (i'm guessing) and the bottom of the basin is about 55 feet maybe in the large opening of the cavern. The cave entrance goes back to about 110 feet deep to the 'grate/gate' where you have to be full cave certified to get the key to go further.

Like the other said, Morrison is nice also. It's also free, which makes it nicer. But they don't have an onsite dive operation/shop anymore like Vortex does. It's located about 15-20 minutes south of Vortex and about 10 minutes south of I-10.

Having dove both, stay away from vortex. Its 32$ just to get in. Unless your doing a cave dive you arent going to see anything anyways, except for the other 100 divers that are there. Its crowded, and you can barely swim without kicking anouther diver or interupting a class thats there. If you going to do the cave then its worth it just to have done it, but otherwise go to Morrison down the road, nicer dive, less crowded, better viz(due to less people) and its just more leasurely. But there are no dive shops or related support facilities so you'd need to rent somewhere else if your renting gear. I'd just dive at Morrison.

Vortex was my first FL spring and my first cavern and I enjoyed it. However, that was a while back when it was $25. Now, I'd probably get fills at Vortex and then dive Morrison (which is exactly what I plan on doing around the end of June).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom