Vortex Nov 5 and 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
For what it's worth, Rick Murchison and I are going to be at Vortex on November 5th and 6th. We are planning a last minute before Christmas end of season barbecue with greater than 20 pounds of charcoal on Saturday night.

All are welcome and welcome to all.

I have the picture of me and Sally. I am going to get her to autograph it for me.

Gotta love it.

How I wish I had the money. Actually I do if no one wants Christmas and I weren't taking my daughter to Tunica the next weekend for her birthday. After income tax when I own all of my own gear and don't have to rent most things.....THEN I can start taking people up on these trips easier. Have fun.

Tom Smedley:
For what it's worth, Rick Murchison and I are going to be at Vortex on November 5th and 6th. We are planning a last minute before Christmas end of season barbecue with greater than 20 pounds of charcoal on Saturday night.

All are welcome and welcome to all.

I have the picture of me and Sally. I am going to get her to autograph it for me.

Gotta love it.

I was talking to SuprBugMan about a possible trip to Cypress that weekend, as it's my Birthday. I haven't been to Cypress in a VERY long time.

HMMM> wheels are turning....

skybird:
How I wish I had the money. Actually I do if no one wants Christmas and I weren't taking my daughter to Tunica the next weekend for her birthday. After income tax when I own all of my own gear and don't have to rent most things.....THEN I can start taking people up on these trips easier. Have fun.

Skybird,
I feel you pain. 2 in college and one of those dives with me. I am going to put a BCD and regulator on my Christmas list. Perhaps a fairly warm day around Christmas you can take me on a tour of the Moulton dive spot. Pelham (ABWA) and Gadsen are also close diving venues in North AL!
Howard

Philmottrek99and 02,
Are Pelham and Gadsden closing for the season only? I hope that is what you mean.

My wife and I have been talking about going to Vortex Springs just to find out where it was and if it would have stuff for her to do while I was diving. We may try to come down for the BarBQ on the 5th if there is room.

Randy

rdharbis1:
Philmottrek99and 02,
Are Pelham and Gadsden closing for the season only? I hope that is what you mean.

My wife and I have been talking about going to Vortex Springs just to find out where it was and if it would have stuff for her to do while I was diving. We may try to come down for the BarBQ on the 5th if there is room.

Randy

You are correct that ABWA and possibly Gadsden will close for the season. I think ABWA will shut down in November. They might be open for special occasions. I have been to Vortex once for a dive. For non-divers, I don't know what there is to do unless you bring your own fun. The drive to Vortex is pretty long. I made it from Vortex to Auburn in a shade under 3 and a half hours and that was one stop for gas. Hope this helps ya.
Howard

paulwall:
I was talking to SuprBugMan about a possible trip to Cypress that weekend, as it's my Birthday. I haven't been to Cypress in a VERY long time.

HMMM> wheels are turning....

Wanna solidify them plans? So far, I have nothing else, but I'm in no hurry to get back to Vortex, although, I wouldn't mind camping there if you want to do Cypress Sat and Morrison Sun.

Otherwise, I think I'm going to try to get on a boat into the Gulf. Even if its my own 'boat'.

rdharbis1:

Randy

FWIW, Vortex gets crowded from divers and locals. There is a large "play" area with a slide, swing into the water, diving boards, ect. There is canoeing and trails into the woods as well. I have no idea how well any of this stuff will keep your wife busy, since I've only dived/camped there. Alot of the local girls use the place to "lay out".

I had talked to the owner of ABWA not too long ago and he was talking about staying open all off-season. He was stating that he had screens for the tents that are over the picnic tables and heaters that can keep it 90F in the tents if he wanted to. He was saying though that it was definately a lean time of year, so maybe his plans have changed.

Matt

It's quite a haul from Madison to Vortex but count it as an adventure. I always stay in one of the rooms at the spring. Call Connie or Erica and make reservations. The Grandview lodge is full for that weekend but try for one of the rooms in Pineview. They are like motel rooms but you bring your own linen to fit a queen size mattress.

Aside from just plain relaxation and socializing with a bunch of misfits Vortex is just that, relaxation and socializing with a bunch of misfits.

If the weather is warm it makes for some great sunbathing. The diving is, as always, as great as you make it. My philosophy is that dives are like wine, women, steak, cheese, and beer. All are good, some are just better than others. You also have the chance to do Morrison and if you hook up with Matt (bugman) and them you could do Cypress. A treat in anyone's book.

If you decide to come - we will welcome you with open arms and fill your belly. I have an advanced open water class and Rick has entry level divers. There will be plenty of buddies all around.

rdharbis1:
Philmottrek99and 02,

Randy

SuPrBuGmAn:
Wanna solidify them plans? So far, I have nothing else, but I'm in no hurry to get back to Vortex, although, I wouldn't mind camping there if you want to do Cypress Sat and Morrison Sun.

Just booked a rental car for that weekend. I'll be travelling down to New Orleans on Friday. Let's plan on diving that weekend... Springs or Gulf, it doesn't matter.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom