Vortex 3-4-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went out to go dive Morrisons today. Met up with my dive buddy at the Subway just off the interstate. He had gotten there early and already went out to scope Morrison and stated that it looked like "toilet water." So we instead decided to dig into our pockets and go to Vortex. I know that there are other springs in the area, but I don't know where they are. Vortex was Vortex. Water temps were cooler than the normal 68*. Today they were 66*, I think it had to do with the bitter cold breeze blowing. Viz was not very good due to a couple classes stirring up the bottom. Some areas were 10' others around 20'-25'. I was surprised that Vortex was not very crowded after all the previous reports from last weekend. Although not the most exciting dive of the year at least I got wet :D . I could stand the thought of another wasted weekend without getting in a dive.

You should've came out and dove Alabama point with me and John from GGD we had 3' vis:D and 61* water temps.

Save this to your favorites.

http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=tae&gage=carf1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

If you want visibility, diving over 6-7' of water in the wintertime isn't advisable(when the tannic water is cold, the river and spring waters mix aparently). Don't expect it ginclear until around 4' or below usually. In the summertime, when the riverwater is quite a bit warmer than the spring water, you can dive it with somewhat higher levels with a layer of tannic water on top and a very noticable cold, clear thermocline underneath that can yield 30-40' visibility(I've seen this with 9.5' levels - although its not always the case - only way to tell is to dive as it'll look tannic from the surface).

You can find directions to Cypress on the board, I've posted them several times. I can spit em out here if you'd like, you'll need a canoe/boat though.

GulfDiver77:
You should've came out and dove Alabama point with me and John from GGD we had 3' vis:D and 61* water temps.

I probably would have, but I did'nt know about it. Did you post the trip? I may have just missed it by not paying attention.

Nope I didn't post it sorry I did post wanting to dive the whiskey and didn't get any replies. So I figured everyone had made plans.

I'm stuck with a cold :(

Water looked great today from the beach cams though.

Standing on the seawall it looked clear on the eastside jetties you could see the sand bars.But once you jumped in it wasn't too good LOL.

You were diving the pass on a neaptide, you have alot of baywater mixed in :p

Dive the Whiskey and you're dealing with more gulfwater and, mostly likely, better visibility.

Ok Thanks for the info.

wjefferis:
Went out to go dive Morrisons today. Met up with my dive buddy at the Subway just off the interstate. He had gotten there early and already went out to scope Morrison and stated that it looked like "toilet water." So we instead decided to dig into our pockets and go to Vortex. I know that there are other springs in the area, but I don't know where they are. Vortex was Vortex. Water temps were cooler than the normal 68*. Today they were 66*, I think it had to do with the bitter cold breeze blowing. Viz was not very good due to a couple classes stirring up the bottom. Some areas were 10' others around 20'-25'. I was surprised that Vortex was not very crowded after all the previous reports from last weekend. Although not the most exciting dive of the year at least I got wet :D . I could stand the thought of another wasted weekend without getting in a dive.

bugman was kind enough to show me the way to cypress. When we went we had to go to vortex and get boats. I now have access to my cousins little boat and we could do cypress very easy since your in pcola and im in Gulf Breeze, Im also workin Navarre Beach for three more weeks so the pier is an option?
The little boat has a trolling motor so no paddling. We could probably fit three in with a little creativity? Cypress was beautiful!!!!! Thanks Bugman...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom