Vortex 3-4-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm stuck with a cold :(

Water looked great today from the beach cams though.

Oh man... sick and at home and being forced to look at the beach cams, all while conditions look good. Im glad I dont have that option.

I did Vortex today with a friend. First time diving there since 1995. Got to meet Uncle Ricky, and Tom Smedley. Nice couple of dives, and had a good time. Was glad to finally catch up with those two.

Hopefully next time I'll get to dive with them.

I tried Morrison today as well .Thought about vortex but wasnt really up to it as we had just gone last week . So we headed to Pcola beach the water looked great felt great, however vis was 4' ....enough to ALMOST dodge the jellies, Anyway do you mind posting the link to that thread with directions to cypress springs.I would like to go and would be up to going with anyone who does go..Thanks

Dove Vortex yesterday

This was my dive #5 & #6 (yeah, my first out of OW)

It was BUSY first thing, but I think most did their last checkout dives early and left.

The vis was "decent" for Vortex.

My dive buddy said the silt was worse than normal on the bottom, they haven't done a good job of sucking the silt out lately, and their huge flocks of carp/koi aren't helping (can you say fish poop!!)

We visited the cavern a little, went in just far enough to hit the beginning of the guide cable... there were a lot of sightseers down in the caverns, constant stream of people in and out with their lights. Tried my little UK C4 eLED, it was excellent and seemed brighter than most of the other lights down there. I gotta get a smaller backup that fits in my BC pocket easier. The eels are friendly!

I gotta lot to learn, my BC is new, got a lot of water in the bladder because the air in the bladder rolls where it wants to and I was trying to operate the bottom dump w/ no air against it. My buddy, after 2nd dive said, "Vortex called, the spring is a little low, they suggest you drain your BC!"

I was definitely chilled by the time we stripped the suits & dressed up to leave, the north wind was pretty cold.

Overall had a great time!

Shagman,

I wonder if that was you guys behind me. I heard a couple guys joking about draining their BC.

Were there two of you, you with a bp/w, around on the left-hand side of the spring, closer to the cave-training area they're setting up?

We were two chubby loud guys... my buddy has an especially loud voice.

My BC gushed for a good 1/2 minute when I opened it up!

EDIT: checked your gallery, yep that was us.

LOL, sounded like you guys had fun! Amazing who you run into on ScubaBoard. There were some other SB members there that day as well.

Wow, either it's a small world of Vortex is just REALLY crowded. :rofl3:

panhandvr:
...Anyway do you mind posting the link to that thread with directions to cypress springs.I would like to go and would be up to going with anyone who does go..Thanks

Directions: Don't forget your boat.

From Ponce De Leon, take Hwy 90 East into Caryville. Take a right at SR289 and follow it under the interestate and all the way into Vernon where it hits SR79. Take another right on SR79, which you'll be on for about a mile into town, take a left at SR277. You'll be on this highway for ~4 miles before you come across Culpepper Ln on the left, take that road and it deadends at the boatlaunch you'll want to take. The spring run is on the left about a mile upstream from the boatlaunch. The spring run itself is about a 1/4mile.

Not sure when the next time we'll be up there, probably not this month, but hopefully April. All are welcome, as long as you're rowing arm is good :p

Back
Top Bottom