Visual reference on anchor line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're really missing the point. A large SMB is easier to see than a small one if both are standing up vertically. In practice we have found that the large ones don't actually stand up as well because it's awkward to maintain sufficient tension on the line during deco stops, or the wind knocks them over, or divers launch them without enough inflation gas to keep them rigid.
They stand perfectly if used properly, send them off early and keep enough tension or weight on them. I don’t like them as you need weight on them. But they definitely work. It’s like any bit of gear, practice in ideal conditions and see what depth suits the smb. I understand what you’re saying that a small SMB is easier to handle and more than adequate In most conditions. And of course the height of the boatman out of the water that’s looking for an SMB helps. We do a lot of diving from RIBs the boat man is literally standing on the surface.

And of course the height of the boatman out of the water that’s looking for an SMB helps. We do a lot of diving from RIBs the boat man is literally standing on the surface.
Early in my sea diving career, it was a RIB driver who told me about thick SMBs being really important as he could see them from a distance.

Early in my sea diving career, it was a RIB driver who told me about thick SMBs being really important as he could see them from a distance.
Yep jumping up on the tubes trying to get height. Acrobatics on the console.

They stand perfectly if used properly, send them off early and keep enough tension or weight on them. I don’t like them as you need weight on them. But they definitely work. It’s like any bit of gear, practice in ideal conditions and see what depth suits the smb. I understand what you’re saying that a small SMB is easier to handle and more than adequate In most conditions. And of course the height of the boatman out of the water that’s looking for an SMB helps. We do a lot of diving from RIBs the boat man is literally standing on the surface.
Jesus is looking over you AND driving the boat? I wouldn't be worried about my smb either.

1686781982667.png

I was on a long drive recently by myself and picked up an audiobook to help pass the time, looked for a diving related one and went for one telling the story about some NE wreck divers who found the last U-boat, this little bit here I quoted made me think of this thread.

“… the growing chop could suddenly dislodge the anchor, leaving divers to make a challenging, possibly dangerous free ascent with no anchor line to help them maintain consistent depth at their deco stops. Driven by the wind, through the water, an un-anchored boat can create drag on a diver hanging on the anchor line and bring him to the surface rapidly, (diver A) and (diver B) remembered that a situation like this killed a very experienced diver named (diver C) in 2006 on the Andrea Doria. …”

I was on a long drive recently by myself and picked up an audiobook to help pass the time, looked for a diving related one and went for one telling the story about some NE wreck divers who found the last U-boat, this little bit here I quoted made me think of this thread.

“… the growing chop could suddenly dislodge the anchor, leaving divers to make a challenging, possibly dangerous free ascent with no anchor line to help them maintain consistent depth at their deco stops.
Anyone who can't maintain consistent depth shouldn't be deco diving in the first place.
Driven by the wind, through the water, an un-anchored boat can create drag on a diver hanging on the anchor line and bring him to the surface rapidly, (diver A) and (diver B) remembered that a situation like this killed a very experienced diver named (diver C) in 2006 on the Andrea Doria. …”
And this is why we don't hang on the anchor line. The divers are supposed to make drifting ascents under marker buoys while the boat follows them. Some NE wreck divers appear to have adopted highly questionable practices.

How can a boat create a drag on the anchor line? Did you mean that it was pulling the buoy or line accidentally?

How can a boat create a drag on the anchor line? Did you mean that it was pulling the buoy or line accidentally?
The assertion is, If an anchor or grapple breaks loose and the boat is moving fast enough, the rope and anchor will come to the surface bringing the divers with it. On sand we would often release the grapple and throw it out clear of the wreck and let the boat drift while completing deco.
Never has it come to the surface on a drift. We did use a neat trick to save man hauling the grapple up from deep wrecks where we tie off the anchor rope to the stern and steam away while letting a large float run back the rope to haul the grapple.
A drifting boat is never going to haul any kind of weight to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom