Visual Inspection on Aluminum 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had two 1 y/o tanks visualed at my LDS. The cost was $25 + $5 for an airfill. :11:

I should have shopped around or at least asked the price. :shakehead

jpsexton:
I just had two 1 y/o tanks visualed at my LDS. The cost was $25 + $5 for an airfill. :11:

I should have shopped around or at least asked the price. :shakehead

The price is per each or all together?

Leaving the VIP+ debate aside. Average VIP rates in my area are between $15-$20. That is a fair price since the store/inspector has to pay for training/update training, tools, o-rings, etc.

Is the charge for simply 'looking inside'? I know my LDS, as part of an annual tank inspection, disassembles, cleans, replaces o-rings and other parts in the valve, then re-assembles the valve, in addition to emptying and inspecting the tank. This may account for the discrepancy in costs. Ask the shops what you are getting as part of 'a tank inspection'?

As I remember, VIP runs about $10 in Hoosier land though. I am not sure if it jacked up since 2006.

It is hard to say that your VIP is worth for $15~$20 due to a level of service. Some shop monkeis aren't trained and inspect a tank within 2 min. Whereas, other qaulified dude like Duane know what they are doing....

So, go figure...

Wayward Son:
I could be mistaken, but I don't think it's required on anything but the older alloy. However, that could be wrong & even if it's not, some shops may have decided to just do it to all of them, as it won't hurt anything.

I have one such tank due for a VIP now, I should ask George when I take it in if they're now required to do all of them. I read that DOT rule but don't recall this specifically.

As of April 1, 2007, a visual eddy test is required at the time of hydro for cylinders made from alloy 6351-T6. In addition, special permit cylinders SP6498, SP7042, SP8107, SP8364, and SP8422 msut also be tested using visual eddy. They must be stamped with the initial VE next to the hydro date.

There is no "requirement" that the visual eddy test be performed at annual visual inspection, but most will do it for protection.

Phil Ellis

I am assuming that since my tank is less than two years old that there is no need to break the valve down. I do not even think the O-ring needs replacing but that is a small fraction of the cost. I am not talking about getting the tank filled..The prices are for the visual inspection only.

Bottom line is if the shop had certification to do the inspection why should I have to pay more than the 5.00 that the cheapest shop charges. I’m not sure this is a case of you get what you paid for. I would assume that any shop that is qualified to do the inspection would do it properly since they will be somewhat liable if something were overlooked.

In our area of the country a VIP will run on avg.$15 including an air fill.

av8er23:
I am assuming that since my tank is less than two years old that there is no need to break the valve down. I do not even think the O-ring needs replacing but that is a small fraction of the cost. I am not talking about getting the tank filled..The prices are for the visual inspection only.

Bottom line is if the shop had certification to do the inspection why should I have to pay more than the 5.00 that the cheapest shop charges. I’m not sure this is a case of you get what you paid for. I would assume that any shop that is qualified to do the inspection would do it properly since they will be somewhat liable if something were overlooked.

The valve may need to be overhauled. That would be part of the inspection process. O-rings do need to be replaced.

Don't think that the cheapest place is always the best. I bought a new tank from a store a few years ago (before I was trained to do my own inspections). After a few dives with it, the air started tasting and smelling really bad. Even after I got fills from different dive stores. I took it to another store to figure out why. When they opened it up, we found a surprise. There was a dead mouse inside the tank. Obviously, the place that sold me the tank didn't do an inspection on it when they sold it to me. But they still slapped a sticker on it that said it was inspected that month.

You are the consumer and should learn as much as you can about the maintainence process to be a more knowledgable buyer. Then you can judge if the price is worth it or not.

As a matter of routine, I have my valves completely serviced at each hydro. that's regardless of whether there's any reason to or not, it's a 5 year interval & cheap insurance. I'll also have one serviced at the drop of a hat if there's any reason to think it needs it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom