Visual Inspection on Aluminum 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver:
The valve may need to be overhauled. That would be part of the inspection process. O-rings do need to be replaced.

Don't think that the cheapest place is always the best. I bought a new tank from a store a few years ago (before I was trained to do my own inspections). After a few dives with it, the air started tasting and smelling really bad. Even after I got fills from different dive stores. I took it to another store to figure out why. When they opened it up, we found a surprise. There was a dead mouse inside the tank. Obviously, the place that sold me the tank didn't do an inspection on it when they sold it to me. But they still slapped a sticker on it that said it was inspected that month.

You are the consumer and should learn as much as you can about the maintainence process to be a more knowledgable buyer. Then you can judge if the price is worth it or not.

No i do not nessarly think that the cheapest is the best but the most expensive is usually ripping you off.

ppo2_diver:
The valve may need to be overhauled. That would be part of the inspection process. O-rings do need to be replaced.

OK. I will bite this remark...

As I know, VIP doesn't include a valve overhaul, at least in PSI. I am not sure how you define an overhaul though. You mean a visual inspection on the valve or completely disassemble the valve?

I agree that anything is better than nothing though. I would like to clarify your statement. :wink:

There is a hand full of visual inspection points a PSI Cyl. Insp. will preform on the tank valve,,,,but tearing the valve down is not part of it. If all appears in good shape with the valve and the owner has not had any problems,,,then I will replace the external small/large o-rings only.

texdiveguy:
There is a hand full of visual inspection points a PSI Cyl. Insp. will preform on the tank valve,,,,but tearing the valve down is not part of it. If all appears in good shape with the valve and the owner has not had any problems,,,then I will replace the external small/large o-rings only.

Yes, that is my understanding as PSI insepctor. It is just a visual inspection on the valve, not a disassemble anything...

As I stated, the valve may need to be overhauled. This means the valve seat gets replaced, etc. But please note, I said MAY need to be overhauled. Part of the inspection forms should have a section on valve inspection and also a spot marking if the valve was rebuilt. These forms should be followed for the inspection process. I'm referring to the TDI form, I don't have a PSI form in front of me now.

Do all ya'll look at the tiny stem o-ring? Everytime I rebuild my valves, that o-ring looks trashed, although I think it is the packing washer that makes it look like it is covered in crud.

Take it easy....

I just want to get your expertise because you are TDI instructor who took PSI course, too.

PSI form also has the section for the valve, but it is pretty much for a visual inspection of the valve.

As you may know, PSI is also offering the following course though.

VRT - Valve Repair Technician - This 3 hour course provides a broad overview of valve types, valve repair and valve care. It is approved by the valve manufacturers. Students will be provided a Certificate of Completion.

I don't think there is an exclusive regulation on the valve. Personally, I rebuilt and O2 cleaned the valve on my tanks. However, I don't think any LDS is doing without being asked, especially for a non-nitrox tank.

ppo2_diver:
As I stated, the valve may need to be overhauled. This means the valve seat gets replaced, etc. But please note, I said MAY need to be overhauled. Part of the inspection forms should have a section on valve inspection and also a spot marking if the valve was rebuilt. These forms should be followed for the inspection process. I'm referring to the TDI form, I don't have a PSI form in front of me now.

The PSI form under 'Valve' only asks if the burst disk has been replaced and also to note any other services provided the valve. Of course we check several parts of the valve on the cyl. inspection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom