Visual inspection and O2 cleaning pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What 40% rule? - oh you mean the 40% rule that someone pulled out of their azz. That is all fine an dandy until a little accident and OSHA kicks a shop owner's little azz for not following their rules.

As for the too many standards - yeah there are cause shops like making up their own rules.

Again, not saying I agree with the rules but from a business point of view they should be followed especially if you want your insurance to kick in.

What 40% rule? - oh you mean the 40% rule that someone pulled out of their azz. That is all fine an dandy until a little accident and OSHA kicks a shop owner's little azz for not following their rules.

As for the too many standards - yeah there are cause shops like making up their own rules.

Again, not saying I agree with the rules but from a business point of view they should be followed especially if you want your insurance to kick in.

And all you need to do is look at the accident history this year......

OK, but look at last year.....

How about the last ten years.....

OK, at least it makes a little extra $$$ for the shop at $50 for each annual O2 cleaning. And that is what is important. Right???

And everybody knows you can't be overlooking any OSHA standard. That is why every dive shop conducting deep training establishes a decompression chamber within 5 minutes of its training site. Right????

OSHA requirement:
Paragraph (b)(2) of 29 CFR 1910.423 requires that:
For any dive outside the no-decompression limits, deeper than 100 fsw [feet of sea water], or using mixed gas as a breathing mixture, the employer shall instruct the diver to remain awake and in the vicinity of the decompression chamber which is at the dive location for at least one hour after the dive (including decompression or treatment as appropriate).
Paragraph (c)(3)(iii) of 29 CFR 1910.423 specifies that:
[The decompression chamber shall be] located within 5 minutes of the dive location.
Paragraph (b)(1) of 29 CFR 1910.426 requires that:
A decompression chamber is ready for use at the dive location.

Did you miss the sub title? Commercial Diving Operations

Which does not apply to teaching recreational scuba diving.

Again I am not saying I agree with the rules I am just stating what they are.

BTW it ain't me that needs to look at them. It is the recreational scuba industry that needs to get their act together and work with OSHA/DOT/CGA and the insurance companies.

Did you miss the sub title? Commercial Diving Operations

Which does not apply to teaching recreational scuba diving.

Again I am not saying I agree with the rules I am just stating what they are.

BTW it ain't me that needs to look at them. It is the recreational scuba industry that needs to get their act together and work with OSHA/DOT/CGA and the insurance companies.

Looks like it does apply to dive shops conducting training and guided dives: Dixie Divers, Inc.; Grant of Permanent Variance - 64:71242-71261

Deep Dixie got a waiver.

Interesting ... most the OSHA rules seem to distinguish between commercial and recreational diving. So I am surprised - good find. I just wonder how many other shops have applied for such a waiver???

I just got railed real hard in an area I am not familiar with but just moved to part time. SFlorida. I just paid $60 per tank (brand new) for O2 cleaning and $10 for the sticker. $140 for 2 tanks. I think I was ripped off.

I just got railed real hard in an area I am not familiar with but just moved to part time. SFlorida. I just paid $60 per tank (brand new) for O2 cleaning and $10 for the sticker. $140 for 2 tanks. I think I was ripped off.

Yes, you were. . . . . Who did it?

Southwest Michigan
Vis $12
Hdyro including vis $48
O2 cleaning $40

Back
Top Bottom