Trip Report April 4-19 2024 Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Rob!
We really loved Volivoli. The food was outstanding. Make sure to take advantage of happy hours if you guys enjoy a few adult libations...the 'normal' prices are steep! As far as maximizing diving, I'd make sure to go talk to the dive shop when you arrive.

We were scheduled on the 'baby boat' the first day because we were new to the resort and they like to eyeball everyone before taking them 1.5 hours out into the ocean to some of the more 'premium' sites. We were able to bypass this since we'd been in Fiji diving for several days and could show them the pics of the shark dives etc. We politely requested to be put on the boat that was doing a 3 tank trip to the marine park and they agreed that it would be ok.

We ended up doing the furthest away sites we did all week visiting the famous E-6 (doing the part called Cathedral) and Mt. Mutiny which one of the gals at the dive shop had said was her favorite site because they didn't go too often and there was a good chance of hammerheads out there. While some (not us sadly) saw a hammerhead, we thought the dives were INCREDIBLE and totally lived up to our expectations.

Ask what days they are doing 1) three tanks (this allows you to go further out since you don't have to be back for lunch) and 2) going to the sites in the marine park. A lot of it seemed to be weather dependent and the boat rides were long and sometimes a bit gnarly going out far. When you ask "what site are we doing?" the answer was usually 'up to the captain depending on conditions'. Fair enough! Entry and exit can be tricky and we had some challenging currents on a couple dives that frustrated the shooters who were trying to hold still while being blown all over the reef. Other times however we had great conditions and were on the 'lee' side of the current. Most of the 'clouds' of fish live at the top 20' of the reef. Not to say that the soft corals, sea fans and amazing things weren't also deeper, but make sure to save a good chunk of your tank for off gassing at the mooring line and just being part of the cloud. The days we dove closer in to the resort were also quite good for life and fish (saw my only banded sea snake and small school of baracuda on a 'local' dive) but the main difference was that the visibility wasn't as good as it was further out.

My favorite dive site of the trip (and maybe ever) was Mellow Yellow. We got to do it twice and I'd do it a dozen times more. Purple Haze was a close second and Hearbreak Ridge was another stand out. The shore dive at the resort really is MUCK diving (I guess better in the morning) and you really have no vis at all. There were a couple sea horses in some grass balls and we did an hour but it was 'stay close or be lost' kind of stuff. The staff is absolutely lovely and you're sure to wish you were there longer. Video from Mellow Yellow

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Great information. So appreciated. Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom