Visual inspection and O2 cleaning pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Central Texas
VIP $20
Hydro $30 - $50
O2 Cylinder $50 - $60
O2 Valve $20
AIR $5 - $10
EAN32 $15 - $25

sufficeth to say: if you want nitrox, you have to pay through your ears to get it :(

So where in central Texas can you get a hydro (w/ vip I assume) for close to $30? I have a few tanks that need hydro and would prefer to keep the cost reasonable.

The shop I frequent is pretty reasonable at $10 for EAN32. What is really annoying is them wanting O2 clean tanks to fill banked 32%.

Nothing annoying as that is what they should do. Read question 4:

XS Scuba Luxfer Oxygen-Enriched and Oxygen Serivce FAQ

I guess it is a good thing I don't use Luxfer tanks for Nitrox.

It may have some basis in standard setter documents (CGA) but does not seem to have any scientific basis and is not supported by any safety data I have seen. It is another excessively cautious measure at the cost of diving consumers. Thankfully, there are still plenty of nitrox suppliers who have not bought into that line. It is annoying only in that it makes me find other providers.

Shop that I use in San Diego does vis $15, vis w/ O2 $50, hydro $50.

I think their O2 and Hydro is overpriced, but they do enough else for me that I know they're not charging me for that I don't necessarily mind. Esp because I think they send their tanks out for service, so it's likely that they're recovering their costs more than anything.

Nothing annoying as that is what they should do. Read question 4:

XS Scuba Luxfer Oxygen-Enriched and Oxygen Serivce FAQ

Luxfer is only one manufacturer. Are there other's that adopt the same standard?

After a quick skimming of the OSHA standards referenced, it looks like the one with the 40% rule is the closest to applying to recreational scuba. (commercial diving)

All I know is I would much rather be standing next to a non-O2 clean cylinder being filled with banked 32% than a cylinder cleaned by the average shop-monkey being pumped to 3000psi with 100% O2.

The issue is that the rules that do apply are OSHA regardless of the mfg recommendations. A shop may not like the rules but they should follow them. If they chose not to and there is an accident then they could be potentially liable for all costs involved, not too mention OSHA fines. No insurance, no workman's comp, no nothing. That would pretty much close a shop as fast as the accident.

Regarding the 40% for commercial diving folks like to say that it looks like it applies but it does not because it is for commercial diving not recreational.

Not saying I agree with the rules as I too find them conflicting but if I had a shop as much of as PITA I would instruct my employees for follow them - further the only ones cleaning cylinders to make them O2 compatible would be properly trained.

One of the issues of the diving industry ... when it comes to cylinders there way too many conflicts that in the end make shops and the mfg look silly.

We have $15 Vis, $50 O2 cleaning. Sierra Vista, AZ.

Hollywood, Fl.

$20 = VIP, Hydro, Air fill (includes visual plus 3 report - new o rings) All AL tanks get eddy current. Same price for AL or Steel.
$35 = o2 cleaning. Tanks are tumbled cleaned, & valves cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner. All o rings replaced with Viton
$20 = to tumble for rust or corrosion & o2 clean tank
$8.00 = VIP (includes visual plus 3 report & new o rings)
$4.00 = OCA air fills

scubatankservices.com

These prices DO NOT reflect S. Fla pricing.

Most shops down here get $35 to $60 for Hydro (which usually includes VIP & air fill)

Last edited:
At my Hydro shop we charge $40 for a hydro and vis. This includes Eddy Current if needed, replacement of Orings on the valve, replacement of Burst Disk, associated Paperwork, and (what my customers love) pick up and delivery. We charge $30 per cylinder for O2 cleaning, which includes cleaning the valve and replacing the associated valve parts with O2 compatibile ones.

Out of curiosity, what valve parts do you replace?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom