Visiting SoCal, need dive advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmantei

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Due to a work trip, I'll be visiting in mid December and I've carved out a Friday/Saturday that I can do some diving, I am fairly flexible on where I'll be staying, anywhere from LA to San Diego. Given I have limited time available to dive, I'm thinking to focus on the environment that is unique to the area (kelp forest), but would be open to any ideas on what and where to dive. Particularly any suggestions on what area would be better to stay in and who to contact for diving. Open to pretty much anything, i.e. shore/boat, rec/tec, etc. I heard it could be difficult to find charters for a single diver on a weekday.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

If you want to do boat diving in San Diego, my favourite boat is the Marissa. It's either shipwrecks (there's a wreck alley) or kelp forests/bottom structure. All the dives are great. They run twice a day, a morning and afternoon run.

From shore, there's always tons of people going from La Jolla, usually at Kellogg Park or from the Cove. You could ask around in person and tag along with a group.

There's a mailing list for the area/SoCal too - divebums. If you subscribe, people post their dive reports, ask for buddies to dive with, etc.

Also in San Diego on Friday Dec 11th Waterhorse Charters is going to Coronados Islands (technically in Mexican waters). Here's an inspiring video of the Coronados Islands :

https://vimeo.com/137264738

(that Vimeo user actually has MANY awesome So Cal dive videos and videos in general).

People tend to like the Coronados because of the better viz (better than San Diego), easy access (a relatively short boat ride out of San Diego), and the very friendly sea lions. Note that the boat may require a certain amt of people sign up for it to be a viable trip, so you'd definitely want to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Power Scuba might have something going on also. Power Scuba: San Diego Scuba Diving (and Beyond) (La Jolla, CA) - Meetup

Arguably the best Kelp is off Point Loma in San Diego. Here's most of the boats diving it - most have dive calendars. Some you have to sign up thru the sponsoring shop listed.
California Dive Boats : The Official Page Just the few in the San Diego area near the bottom.

Especially on Saturday - get to the Cove early for parking. Divebums mentioned above has all sorts of local info on the area, shops etc. Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

The Kelp didn't show up off Catalina Island this year if you see references to that. Still decent diving but the Kelp made that special.

The Sea Lion rookery makes Los Coronados a lot of fun. Years ago it was kelp-encrusted but the MX govt'. allowed overfishing and the species that kept the Kelp holdfast eaters in check were wiped out so it's all gone there now.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Probably head out with the Power Scuba group on the 19th. Just need to find something for the 18th now. Anyone know who the club is that has Waterhorse booked for the Coronado Islands on the 18th?

A good, solid resource for San Diego dive reports, conditions reports, and notices of (dive) community events on Facebook: San Diego County Dive Reports

SD Dive Reports Header - Facebook.jpg

Bill Powers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom