Visiting San Diego in July - Dive Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFloyd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be in SD for a conference that runs July 18-21. Looking at probably arriving a day or two early in order to combine some fun with the trip.

I've been diving for a bit over a year now with 8 ocean dives so far (with another 10-12 planned in Cozumel this June along with getting my AOW card). I have my own gear, but will probably only bring my reg/comp and mask.

Any suggestions for dives, ops, etc. would be most appreciated.

Welcome to San Diego!

Two dives I like are Coronados Islands, where you have a good chance to dive with sea lions, and Point Loma kelp forests.

Good boats which can lead you there:

Remember it's cold (and often green) water diving - be extra conservative if you only have experience with tropical diving.

Welcome to San Diego!

Two dives I like are Coronados Islands, where you have a good chance to dive with sea lions, and Point Loma kelp forests.

Good boats which can lead you there:

Remember it's cold (and often green) water diving - be extra conservative if you only have experience with tropical diving.
This can not be stressed enough.

All of the boats listed above are good operations. Just let them know you are new to our waters.

I second the suggestion that you try the Point Loma kelp beds and the recommendation of the Lois Ann! I finished my OW cert at Point Loma and have been a very happy customer on board the Lois Ann...

Thanks guys.

I definitely plan to leave my 3/2 at home and rent a 7mm w/ hood. Will my 5mm boots be OK for that area?

Thanks guys.

I definitely plan to leave my 3/2 at home and rent a 7mm w/ hood. Will my 5mm boots be OK for that area?

I would think your 5mm boots will be fine.

I'll be there 7/1/10 through 7/5/10. Any good shore dives? I've been looking at La Jolla cove/beach areas.
Any other ideas?

La Jolla Shores and Cove are decent shore dives if you're prepared for a long surface swim.
Shores is easier logistically. Cove is a parking nightmare and the stairs are tough but the diving is better if the conditions allow.

Keep in mind, there are a lot of places to dive in SD...from wrecks in wreck alley to Kelp Beds, or heading down to the Coronado Islands and checking out the local wildlife. Some tend to say that the Coronados are nice and clear, but somewhat barren...but I enjoyed it myself. Wreck Alley has some nice wrecks to check out if you are into that and the Kelp beds are full of creatures...including even giant black sea bass and other large creatures.

As for shorediving...I still love the shorediving site: ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community!

They have some great info and most of the reviews are pretty accurate. Check it out and enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom