Visiting in early October - where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a conference coming up in early October in San Fran. I'll have one or two days at the end where I can squeeze a few dives in before heading back to the UK.

I'd really appreciate if someone could:

1. Advise me of some good dive sites (boat or shore)
2. Advise me of some good operators. I'll bring my kit, bar tanks - do most places rent doubles?

Also of interest is what temps the water likely to be that time of the year.

The other thing is that there is the possibility that I'll extend the time and do a liveabord to somewhere like Guadeloupe - has anyone done this trip and if so, what's there take on it?

Ultimately I'm more likely to just get a few dives in in the SF area so any pointers on that would be really great.

Thanks,
John

I know a couple shops are talking about renting doubles, but I have not seen anyone actually do it yet. Any of the well known beach sites in Monterey will be a good dive. I'd start with the breakwater to get a feel for the environment here in CA and then go from there.

Here is a link of dive boats: Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats

With that advanced notice, take a look and see if Pt. Lobos has spots available would be my first suggestion. As far as temps go, I think it should be in the low 60's or so.

Cheers both,

I'll check out that link and pt. lobos.

(aside: I probably shouldn't have mixed my messages in first post. Key point is what dives would you recommend in the area and what ops would you recommend. Gear, tanks, water temps etc. all secondary questions).

I'll check out the links and see where they take me. I'm just conscious that as I'll probably have max 2 days diving I want to get the absolute most out of it.

Cheers for your help,
J

Matt is right on, get yourself a point lobos reservation, put your buddy down as tbd, you will be able to find someone to guide you there without issue (weekdays are tougher to find buddies but do able). It's $20 USD for the reservation, and worth much more than that.
Be sure to post your visit dates here, nor cal people are great and will show you a good time.

Will you have Fundies by then? If so, I'd recommend looking into BAUE, or contacting Beto Nava, who is the GUE instructor in Monterey. From San Francisco, most of the diving would be in the Monterey area, and there is an active DIR community down there. You may well be able to borrow a set of doubles, if you really need them -- although, since the diving will be entirely new to you, a large single tank may serve you quite well.

I second the recommendation for Lobos reservations. Another option is going out on the Escapade, which is a lovely charter boat with a DIR captain. It is also possible to hire Phil Sammett's RIB out of Lobos, and dive some of the pinnacles outside of the cove itself -- a lot of this will depend on weather.

But the key is to make some local contacts. A lot of Monterey divers frequent this board, or lurk here; post that you are wanting to dive Monterey, and I'm sure you will have some offers of help.

As far as temps go, I think it should be in the low 60's or so.
The temp readings this weekend were coming back at 47 degrees. They could get as warm as 53 degrees or so, but that is about as warm as it gets typically. 55 is tropical for the open ocean. Everyone I usually dive with wears a drysuit.

TSandM gives great advice, if you are a long hoser.

Will you have Fundies by then? If so, I'd recommend looking into BAUE, or contacting Beto Nava, who is the GUE instructor in Monterey. From San Francisco, most of the diving would be in the Monterey area, and there is an active DIR community down there.

Hi John,

I agree with Lynne :). We do have quite a helpful community in San Fran!

Lobos is a local favorite shore dive & hopefully we'll have some nice conditions for your visit!

Last edited:
The others are right about temps--it should be in the mid 50's or so. Not sure why I put down low 60's, I'll just blame the food coma :dork2:

Thanks for all the tips. Lobos sounds like a good plan.

My conference dates are 13-15Sep and I'll stay in SF 16 & 17 too. It may be that I can only get out diving on 16th but will try for one evening on 14 or 15th too. It'd be wonderful to hook up with someone from SB but certainly don't want to impose on anyone.

Do you reckon the water is warm enough for a 7mm? Or is it possible to rent a dry suit (I know it's not around here)?

TSandM - I'll hopefully have my fundies by then, course will certainly be complete, whether I've completed successfully or not remains to be seen :). I'll wait til after I've done it and see whether to contact BAUE at that point - I'm still waiting to get a better feeling for whether DIR is for me or not and hoping the fundies course will answer this for me.

Thanks again for the responses - very helpful indeed.

J

Back
Top Bottom