Visiting Houston for 2 Months - Maybe moving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats too deep for me buddying up with someone I don't know and not bringing my pony.

I read they only do 32% on the boat. 1.4 MOD is 110fsw. I think I've read the heads tend to start at 65fsw. I'm assuming that I can plan dives for the 60-90fsw range?

chrpai once bubbled...
Thats too deep for me buddying up with someone I don't know and not bringing my pony.
I read they only do 32% on the boat. 1.4 MOD is 110fsw. I think I've read the heads tend to start at 65fsw. I'm assuming that I can plan dives for the 60-90fsw range?

Depending on which site you're on but most of the reefs start between 60-75ft. Gulf Diving has 32% on the boats so that's one reason all the liveaboards have a max depth limit of 100ft. Break it once and you sit out the next dive. Break it twice and you don't dive again. They are very serious about these rules. Plus there is so much to see you don't need to go below 90ft or so.

I always take my pony to the FG, regardless of who my buddy is.

Looking at the profiles of the TSDT trip to the Flower Gardens last year, my max depth was 91'. The trip before I was paired with a guy who got a kick out of getting some depth. My max on that trip was 123' and I only had 3 dives over 100' - that was a 4-day trip.

As for the temps, this was taken around 80' and I never heard them mention being chilled.

fbe8bb05.jpg

I haven't done the Rinn boats yet, I'm booked in August on them, but the SeaSearcher II has their own tanks and require prior permission for you to bring a tank. You just gotta lug your own lead.

Dove the flower gardens last week on the gulf diving boats. I was impressed with their operation. We left out of Freeport Wednesday night, and arrived around 6:30 Thuirsday morning. @ dives at West bank, rig dive around lunch, afternoon and evening dives at east bank, and followed with 2 dives at stetson bank friday.

I know you were worried about "going single". There were a few divers on board that were single, and had no problem finding a buddy. Also, many people miss 1 dive or another (seasick, tired, etc.) so there was generally someone looking for a buddy. Everyone seemed to be a "good" diver, but I'd be cautious if I were you. I'm sure you'd be able to pick out the more inexperienced divers to avoid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom