Visiting Grand Cayman - Things to Do and See - Besides Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red vs white...tomato based vs cream based? Or did I get that totally wrong?

I think it's more like Manhattan versus New England, but we're talking about Conch Chowder not Clam Chowder.

Southern Spice is another very good, very popular and highly rated Indian restaurant located in West Bay Plaza just north of downtown on West bay Rd.

And speaking of conch, you have to get the cracked conch at (where else?) the Cracked Conch restaurant - the upstairs, upscale room that is part of Macabuca Bar (you can also sit outside at Macabuca and get the conch). If you like fried calamari, you will really like cracked conch. Located at Turtle Reef, a great shore dive. Entry via a ladder located literally next to the bar. Snorkel or dive, then have the conch and a Caybrew beer. The total Cayman experience

Southern Spice is another very good, very popular and highly rated Indian restaurant located in West Bay Plaza just north of downtown on West bay Rd.

And speaking of conch, you have to get the cracked conch at (where else?) the Cracked Conch restaurant - the upstairs, upscale room that is part of Macabuca Bar (you can also sit outside at Macabuca and get the conch). If you like fried calamari, you will really like cracked conch. Located at Turtle Reef, a great shore dive. Entry via a ladder located literally next to the bar. Snorkel or dive, then have the conch and a Caybrew beer. The total Cayman experience

We love Macabuca and the Cracked Conch, but the same people also own the George Town Yacht Club and they have the best Cracked Conch in my opinion!

Last edited:
We love Macabuca and the Cracked Conch, but they same people also own the George Town Yacht Club and they have the best Cracked Conch in my opinion!
Ditto. We absolutely love diving at Turtle Reef and having an order of cracked conch and a cold beverage afterwards. One of my favorite places to be. We also recently discovered Calico Jacks. A beach bar/restaurant right on 7mb at Governor's public beach. Their pan fried grouper is a winner at 12.95 CI. Makes a great afternoon spot to be right on the beach, especially if staying at a place that is not on 7mb. If you go when the cruise ships are not in, it can be a very nice time.

Last edited:
We also recently discovered Calico Jacks. A beach bar/restaurant right on 7mb at Governor's public beach. Their pan fried grouper is a winner at 12.95 CI. Makes a great afternoon spot to be right on the beach, especially if staying at a place that is not on 7mb. If you go when the cruise ships are not in, it can be a very nice time.

Jack's is our go-to beach bar for a beer (or a few) and to hang with the locals.

It was a perfect ending to a great short dive trip. Thu-Mon. Sunday afternoon with our diving done we headed to Calicos. It was perfect. No cruise ships. Busy with locals and with volley ball action going on, it looked like a league. Bar and restaurant literally on the beach and steps from the water. Can't wait to go back.

Beach hut/Beach Bar on Lac Bay, Bonaire another favorite. We hit it the same way, in the afternoon on our last dive day after the last dive. All time favorite though is the Beachcomber on the Cape. But I digress . . . Chalk it up to midwinter in NE, thinking of warmer times :)

Back
Top Bottom