Visiting Grand Cayman - Things to Do and See - Besides Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not suggest the Turtle Farm to anyone. It's not much and not worth the time/cost.

Agree. And it is a farm, not just a "wildlife encounter experience." Although they do turtle conservation work and research, the turtles are also raised for meat (which you can purchase down the street). They did change the name to Turtle Center a while back to deemphasize the commercial side, but the welcoming advertisement in the airport still says Turtle Farm. We don't take our visitors there, as you can see more than enough happy turtles while diving or snorkeling. And we're not big fans of turtle meat.

If you will be staying in a condo or someplace where you are doing your own cooking, and fish is on the menu, then you need to get your fish at the outdoor fish market in Georgetown, next door to Casanova restaurant (a good traditional Italian restaurant, by the way).

The only issue is that the hours are hit or miss. We have driven by the market 100s of times and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when they are open. But if they are, we try to stop and get whatever they have.

The Fish Market George Town

I don't think most Grand Cayman visitors know- and I could be wrong, but if anyone has a love, like or inkling for Indian food; you cannot go wrong by going to dinner at Sunset House's My Bar restaurant. Killer sunset views in an open air bar/restaurant. They do way more than Indian food- but just thought I'd call that out. A really nice setting and vibe. Log In or Sign Up to View
Amazing Food That You Would Not Expect from a Dive Resort – Sunset House – George Town – Cayman Islands

I happen to have a particular fondness for all things British Empire- Pretty rare for an American. Probably a result of my many years and travels throughout the Empire (Singapore, India, Malaysia, Fiji, Canada, Burma, Pakistan, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka)

Last edited:
How the Brits never managed to conquer Indonesia and fold it into the empire is something I still need to research.

I don't think most Grand Cayman visitors know- and I could be wrong, but if anyone has a love, like or inkling for Indian food; you cannot go wrong by going to dinner at Sunset House's My Bar restaurant. Killer sunset views in an open air bar/restaurant. They do way more than Indian food- but just thought I'd call that out. A really nice setting and vibe. Log In or Sign Up to View
Amazing Food That You Would Not Expect from a Dive Resort – Sunset House – George Town – Cayman Islands

I happen to have a particular fondness for all things British Empire- Pretty rare for an American. Probably a result of my many years and travels throughout the Empire (Singapore, India, Malaysia, Fiji, Canada, Burma, Pakistan, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka)

This is very weird but the tastiest Indian food I ever had in my life was in Hong Kong...probably due to both Hong Kong and India being British governed in its history. I suspect Indian food in Cayman is very tasty as well!

This is very weird but the tastiest Indian food I ever had in my life was in Hong Kong...probably due to both Hong Kong and India being British governed in its history. I suspect Indian food in Cayman is very tasty as well!
That doesn't surprise me at all. But enjoy it at Sunset House after a late afternoon shore dive there. You can always find great Indian food in any British Empire country. In fact, the best Indian food is always found outside of India, based on my experience. I don't want to opine on why that is- but it has been my experience and I have my ideas.
I just had some amazing Indian food in Cozumel 3 weeks ago and that is about as far away from India or the Empire as you can get! Blew my mind! I have lived and traveled throughout India for 3 years - spanning 3 different decades (8 months in the 80's, 12 months in the 90's and and the remainder in the 00's) and my youngest was born on the continent). All of that being said, my favorite Indian food resides in Singapore or West Malaysia!

I love the red conch chowder at My Bar, it's delicious!

That doesn't surprise me at all. But enjoy it at Sunset House after a late afternoon shore dive there. You can always find great Indian food in any British Empire country. In fact, the best Indian food is always found outside of India, based on my experience. I don't want to opine on why that is- but it has been my experience and I have my ideas.
I just had some amazing Indian food in Cozumel 3 weeks ago and that is about as far away from India or the Empire as you can get! Blew my mind! I have lived and traveled throughout India for 3 years - spanning 3 different decades (8 months in the 80's, 12 months in the 90's and and the remainder in the 00's) and my youngest was born on the continent). All of that being said, my favorite Indian food resides in Singapore or West Malaysia!

I missed my chance at trying Indan food in Cozumel this past trip. Which restaurant would that be?

Don’t get my husband started about the food in Singapore...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom