Vis! We found VIS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's true, and it was totally unexpected.

My dive buddy, David, and I mosied up to Lake Elmer Thomas (near Lawton, Ok) to grab a couple of quick dives, just to scratch the divin' itch. So did a lot of other folks (actually, there were a couple of classes going on), and there were about twenty in the water where we normally put in near the dam. So, we set our flag, skirted the classes, and soon headed for the far side of the lake about 150 yards away. Vis was about 5-8 feet most of the way, so we were navigating by compass. We reached the other side and turned right (west) to follow the wall at about twenty to twenty-five feet. I was higher on the wall than David, who was about four feet lower. After a while, he stopped and signaled we might drop down about ten feet. At first, we miscommunicated a little, but finally we did just that. It got really murky as we crossed a razor-edge thermocline at about 25 feet, but then I saw what he had glimpsed from his deeper vantage point.
The vis opened up...and I'm not kidding a bit...to over 50 feet! Yes, it was a bit dim as we bottomed out at about 45 feet, but we still had plenty of light and I'm not exaggerating a bit. Vis was fantastic! Sure, it was a bit cool (about 60 degrees, I think) but man was it clear! We were so impressed that we returned on the second dive to the same location. It was a great day of diving, and it's always so much fun to find something so totally unexpected, even at a site we consider one of our "regulars".

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds great. :)

Did you guys see anything interesting in that new found vis? :D

Thanks Guba, I guess I will have to take my gear the next time I go visit my dad in Duncan Oklahoma and slide over and give it a try. I lived up in the north red dirt country once but I never dove there.

OK Guba. Now I am jealous. Not only was I unable to make the trip, but you found great vis... and David was able to join the trip!

Hey Brad! Well, rest assured, you were definitely remembered (were your ears burning?). At least part of the conversation went something like this...

"Man, I sure wish Brad were here to see this!"

"Yeah, but you know something?"

"What's that?"

"He ain't gonna believe us. When we tell him we found 50 foot vis in Lake ET, he's going to think we're pulling his leg!"

I'm not going to tell you which person said what, though.

Sure hope you can make the next one! I'm looking forward to it!

"He ain't gonna believe us. When we tell him we found 50 foot vis in Lake ET, he's going to think we're pulling his leg!"

Hey Bill! I can believe the vis... now if you had tried to tell me that you came up with 1000psi in the tank after finding that kind of vis, then I would have wondered! d=)

So what ya doing next weekend?

60 degrees?? *shudder & shiver* I dont think good viz is worth those temps.

Cool!! Must check out campgrounds around Lake Elmer Thomas. We've never been there, but it sounds like I need to plan a trip!!

Rhonda

There are two campgrounds on the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. One is right on the lake, but I've never stayed there. You might check out this link
Elmer Thomas Lake Oklahoma

The other public area is Doris Campground, but it's not on the lake itself. I don't know if rules have changed, but it used to be first come-first served. However, it has pretty good amenities and isn't too far from Lake ET.

I'll even show you where the clear water is...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom