Virginia Aquarium seeking volunteer divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The Virginia Aquarium is putting the finishing touches on it expansion, including the 'Red Sea' exhibit, and is looking for more volunteer divers.

Send in your application (available on the website), and prepare to join the screening process. The minimum requirements are OW + 10 dives or AOW, and there is an in-water test (buoyancy control, etc.).

Come join the fun and swim with diverse aquatics year round!

Was talking to a friend that works there. She said they removed roof pieces and craned in the acrylic (or whatever it was) pieces for the new expansion. Pretty wild.

Haven't been there in a good while. Been meaning to check it out, figured I'd wait till the expansion is complete.

What kind of stuff do divers get to do?

It really depends. All divers start in the 'Chesapeake Bay' tank, which generally comprises of a show demonstrating scuba skills and feeding the fish, followed by cleaning of some sort.

After 6-12 months of diving at the aquarium, a diver can 'try-out' for the other teams. There's the sharks, turtles, and seals currently, with the 'Red Sea' and croc tank due to open in November.

There are multiple "thank you's", from free membership to hats and jackets. But the best return, aside from the fantastic dive opportunities, is the focus and improvement on your buoyancy control. High salt content, limited water column, and the shallow depths require a lot of control, which you'll learn through experience.

Ethan, are you thinking of trying out? I have been wanting to it for a while but never have gotten down there due to my travel schedule; I may do it this year though.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I live close to the Aquarium and am there all the time with my daughter. Very excited to help out with the dive team.

How often do they open up for new divers?? We're going to move to Williamsburg as soon as our northern VA house rents and I'd be interested. I'm retired, so I'm pretty flexible schedule-wise.

It's my understanding they do this about twice a year. Right now, we have a high demand for more divers, so I'm posting everywhere.

Ethan, are you thinking of trying out? I have been wanting to it for a while but never have gotten down there due to my travel schedule; I may do it this year though.

It's neat, but I work during the day and what not. I'm going to hitch a ride next time my friends go over to the aquarium and look around.

Maybe sometime in the future!

Right now I'm just trying to make it out on a boat trip with LDC, and finish up my AOW :) Then look at doing advanced Nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom