Virginia Aquarium seeking volunteer divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How often do you have to volunteer a month?

Just called the aquarium. The person told me "I think" you have to commit to 4 1/2 hours per WEEK. I would do it if it were up to one weekend per month, but don't live anywhere near Virgina Beach, so can't do weeklies. If you have other information, please share.

If you can do weekly dives, the assessment dives are the first week of October.

How often do you have to volunteer a month?

Sorry, I missed that one.

You're expected to commit to one dive a month, plus the monthly meeting (1st Monday of the month @7pm). That dive 'counts' as 4 1/2 hours volunteer time as they take equipment prep and cleaning into account. Typically, it takes me ~1 1/2 hours on-site to do a dive. Show up ~1/2 hr before the dive to setup, ~20-30 minutes wet, then ~1/2 hr to change/pack up.

They're currently planning the 'try outs' for the first weekend in October.

So is this only for people who live in the VA beach area? Because the one dive a month is more than do-able for people who have a couple of hours to travel, but it could be kind of hard for people who work and have to travel to get there on a Monday night. So is the Monday night monthly meetings absolutely mandatory?

You could take it up with the dive team leads. I haven't been doing it long enough to give you a firm answer on that one. They would contact you with details regarding the try-outs, and you could discuss it then.

I've only been there since April.

What does the "try out" entail and how many people are they taking?

You only spend 1/2 hour in the water? Temperature thing?

The 1/2 hour in the CBA (Chesapeake Bay Aquarium) tank is a staffing thing. Staff have to remain nearby, in addition to the spotter, while a diver is in the tank. Other tank teams have differing schedules and rules, but they require you be vetted in the CBA for anywhere between 6-12 months before you can join them.

What does the "try out" entail and how many people are they taking?
The tryouts are essentially an equipment familiarity check, buoyancy control check (hula hoops), and in-water, in-gear, backboard training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom