Vintage steel 72 rescue center.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad I wasn't on ScubaBoard when you were unloading those 72s. I've been collecting them just because the price on them is right, although I would like more gas (new diver SAC still).

I've two sets of twin 38's........one set USD at working pressure 1800 psi and a voit set rated at 1880psi working pressure......they are 6.75 dia and 19" tall.........at 2100 each cylinder give 37.8 cuft, 2200 almost 40cuft....

I had a set of 45's with a working pressure of 2250 that I sold to kingairpilot..........they were heavy suckers for me, almost 50 lbs..........so I do not understand what you have...........

Last edited:
Ok, you guys have completely lost me. 53's? Who made such a size tank? I am only aware of the 38's, 45's and some 50 cuft tanks of steel. But 1800psi 53's? Or am I misreading all the above?

Some one educate me porfavor?

Oldmossback

I suppose they could be called 50's also. They're about two inches shorter than an LP72 and they're rated at 1800 psi. They're stamped USD and if I remember right they were made in 1970. I call them 53's because that's what I saw a similar tank referred to as in a different thread.

I'll probably use it for crabbing or spearing flounder in shallow water. You don't need a lot of air when you're only 20' deep. Mostly, I'm just curious if there is anything particularly desirable about them. 72's for example are light and cheap, have great buoyancy and with an overfill hold a reasonable amount of air. Wish I had a couple more of them. I'm not sure I see many of those same advantages with these. They're light and cheap, but I understand they're more positive and I'm going to be somewhat hesitant to charge an 1800 psi tank much above 2200.

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't bother. The purchase price wasn't too bad, but I doubt I'll ever dive it enough to make it worth the cost of the hydro, tumble and burst disc replacement.

I just went down and took a look at the junk tank. It's about 2.5" shorter than an lp72 and appears to be the same diameter. The stamp on it indicates it was made in 1971.

Back
Top Bottom