Vintage hard hat try-out dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another dumb question: how heavy are the foot weights? And the chest weight? Is there one on your back too?

Another dumb question: how heavy are the foot weights? And the chest weight? Is there one on your back too?
Boots weigh about 15kg a pair, front and rear shaped lead chest weights about 20kg each so all up with the helmet you are carrying around 65kg.
Standing up off your dressing stool for the first time is a shock!

I also got a tiny insight to the world of hard hat commercial diving... I have even more respect for those guys doing deep saturation dives, and the level of training required.
How about this for don-and-doff?

Hi @Fibonacci

Your post brought back fond memories.

In 2005, I took hyperbaric chamber operations from Dick Rutkowski, when Hyperbarics International was still located under the old Ocean Divers shop in Key Largo. On the last day, we were given the opportunity to dive a USN Mark V. We got dressed up and then went for a short walk on the bottom of the canal outside the shop. I would not be honest if I didn't admit I was a bit nervous walking around in nearly zero visibility wearing all that equipment and weight. It went uneventfully and I was left with a unique memory

How about this for don-and-doff?

The standby diver could do with a decent longhose instead of a standard octopus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom