Viking Rubber Drysuits, good for recreational diving too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Viking pro 1000 is about the same cost as other high-end drysuits, you just have to find someone who will sell one to you.

Why? What is so hard about that? We regularly sell them to Public safety and recreational divers.
Link

The point being Viking no longer supports the sport market, per-se, so you don't see them on the rack anymore. This makes it a little harder to kick the tires, so to speak, and try one on for fit. This wasn't a problem for me since I was buying a replacement and knew my size, but could inhibit some buyers.

Plus, my LDS was an authorized dealer...and wouldn't even discuss selling one to me, d'oh!

But, as you rightfully point out, they are available.

Oh, and if I'd a known you then, like I know you now, I wouldn't have hesitated buying it from DRIS.

Last edited:
Being a Viking dealer doesn't mean squat. The closest dealer to me doesn't know the first thing about the product line or accessories. My suit is currently on its way to DRIS for some very reasonably priced seal and ring systems. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world.

Of course the phrase "Mike Pederson is a good dealer" might not be so complimentary when whispered around the school yard.

Like all shell style dry suits, they wrinkle up and have more drag than a wet suit or neoprene drysuit, but I can't say as I notice it.

My first Drysuit was a Viking sport. Get it properly fitted and you can use it for anything. It was stolen or I'd still be diving it.

Don't listen to all the naysayers, they are great suits and bullet proof.

I dove the Andrea Doria in a Gates rubber suit. Similar to a Viking. Sure they're slower, heavier etc. But they dry quick, repairs are a breeze and when you are diving in crap - they're the best.

This all said - I use 4 types of drysuits and most for different purposes.

3D; How's the range of motion? I'm diving a whites fusion tech that is too small now and it's got poor range. But it was custom for someone else. Mr. X. I see you're a rebreather diver. I'm working up to it and I don't want to build up too much CO2 if it makes too much drag. Is this a legit concern, or am I over exaggerating?

Range of motion is fine...but keep in mind I've been diving in Vikings for a looooong time & don't have any experience in other dry suits to compare with. I actually got my first one because I'd outgrown my wetsuit and was having range of motion issues in it.

I have a pro-1000 now. It's a bit thicker than my original Sport, but I haven't noticed any issue with dexterity, swimming speed etc. (aside from my own loss of strength due to an illness a few years back).

Vikings are good, rugged suits.

(Oh, and no, I don't use a rebreather, just a big honkin' steel 120.)

Haha thanks. I think I'm going to get a pro 1000. Looking forward to durability. I am worried everytime I dive the whites I feel like I'll tear it just getting in

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom