video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jonnythan:
The Titanic didn't get blown up..
No but the nightwatchmen were a little blind (or at least according to the film - "ICEBERG, dead ahead") :wink:

So anyway back to the video, should it be released for regular viewing???

If you look back a few posts you will see that part of it has already been broadcast and a link has been provided. You will see him trying to cut himself free. From the little you can see there is no outward sign of panic but I would have to wonder what was going on in his head.
Glenn

But I'm still not convinced whether the video we talked about should be broadcasted even if parts of it already were shown. I don't know whether i would like others, mainly strangers watching me dying
Mania

jonnythan:
The Titanic didn't get blown up..

Actually, she'd had a smouldering fire in one of the coal bunkers all
the way across, and one theory is that when the iceberg holed that
compartment, the water that came in flashed to steam and the
steam pressure caused additional damage.

grf88:
A small portion of the video was shown last night on the Discovery Channel together with an interview with Don Shirley. This can be seen at Daily Planet under the January 27th show titled Black water.

http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/
WOW! My hat's off to Don...way to keep it together.

On the other hand, if something happens to me, I want it disected by all of the diving community. Even if the consensus is I died being stupid. At least it might help somebody else.

All the best, James

There was a half hour documentary on one of the local tv stations here in South Africa. Did not show the full video and had a lot of interviews with the family members of Deon Dreyer.

It shows Dave on the bottom trying to get Deons body in the bag, there was commentary by Don SHirley throughout.

mania:
The last minutes of Dave Shaw in the Boesmansgat cave
Here is the full story:
http://capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2372385

I would like to know your opinion whether such video should or should not be broadcasted - at least within the divers community?

I personally think it shouldn't.
Mania

FWIW: I think if the video is shown for divers' training purposes, sure maybe something could be learned in this tragedy. However, throwing it out to the media always brings the risk of some bureacrat thinking they need to "regulate" and exert governmental control over something. (example-Baltic Sea wreck diving)

Poog

were do you people come from ? we are talking about the death of a human being, you can't learn from this. this is tragic and some of you are just sick in the head

That is my opinion

novadiver:
were do you people come from ? we are talking about the death of a human being, you can't learn from this. this is tragic and some of you are just sick in the head

That is my opinion

I'm from Wrangell, Alaska. Yes, I agree this situation was a tragedy. As far as your opinion that nothing can be learned from tragic situations, I disagree. Regarding your last statement...I'm not even going to bother.

Poog

mania:
The last minutes of Dave Shaw in the Boesmansgat cave
Here is the full story:
http://capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2372385

I would like to know your opinion whether such video should or should not be broadcasted - at least within the divers community?

I personally think it shouldn't.
Mania
I think the man died doing somthing he believed in. From all of the stories I have read about this event, I honor him and his efforts, I wish his family well and peace and ask God embrace him. My he Rest in Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom