video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a transport ship full of refugees or soldiers or what have you, and it gets destroyed... when you consider a typical cruise liner, with all its amenities diners, theaters, etc, can typically hold 5,000 including crew...

In my "other sport" - parachuting - every month, the very first part I turn to in the industry trade magazine is the "Incident Reports" section.

Here, they detail the equipment, experience level, and circumstances of the most recent fatalities in the sport. I'm not ghoulish, I just want to know what has killed my colleagues, so it doesn't happen to me.

Here, from what little I've read about this incident, I agree with Pipedope: I'm gonna be making efforts to really take it easy on deeper dives. And seeing the video would help reinforce this for me.

All the best, James

mania:
Kracken's reasoning is very close to mine.
OK. I don't know how many of you have heard about the wreck called Goya. It was a German ship with German refugeess which was bombed by the end of war by Soviets. More than 8 thousand people died - so this is undoubtly the biggest marine catastrophy throughout history.
The ship is in the Batlic Sea at the depth of 262 ft. As it was boarded by German refugees escaping from what used to be III Reich and now is Poland so quite a lot of divers were attempting to dive for artifacts.
Anyway - two years ago German and Polish divers decided to dive to Goya. Baltic Sea is extremly difficult place to dive - cold, bad vis, currents and - which is the worst - fisherman's nets (they don't put buoys here so you never know where and when you can get tangled). All three of them died there.
Polish Navy later on dived to recover their bodies. They made a movie of this action which leaked to internet.
As the result of it was a lot of mean stories written by both - Polish and German media without any understanding of diving issues.
So finally Polish authorities (also lacking the knowledge about diving and mistakes done by these divers) put a lot of restriction on all wreck diving in the Baltic Sea.

Sorry for such a long answer.
The other thing I have in mind are families of both divers and their feelings.
Mania

I personally feel it should be shown. If you don't you're almost admitting that the person never lived. We need to see (birth, life, or death) not just read, or hear about the facts of life. Although some are not happy events, this person becomes history in some fashion. We need to embrace our past (this diver) and learn from the divers mistakes and knowledge he had. This is and will always be a call of ethics, no one I believe will ever be right in everyone's eyes!!!
As to the story....... Again opinion, Polish authorities made decisions on publics ignorance and wanted to keep their image clean. In return, a step backwards for diving instead of a step forward and learning more about the underwater world that area.

Yes, release the video for training purposes. This will create an awareness of the reality/dangers of Cave diving that no instructor can rely to students.

A small portion of the video was shown last night on the Discovery Channel together with an interview with Don Shirley. This can be seen at Daily Planet under the January 27th show titled Black water.

http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/

Chaseh:
8 Thousand souls died on one wreck? How's that possible?
Again sorry for hijacking but here you can find some basic data - I was mistaken - 7 thousand died on Goyahttp://www.balticwrecks.com/en/wrecks/goya.html

In fact on Gustloff when it was hit by submarine there were only 5 thousand - the numbers quoted by Kennedydive are wrong. As Gustloff is also within our waters so you can read about it here:
http://www.balticwrecks.com/en/wrecks/wg.html

Just for comprison - the famous Titanic - less than 1.5 thousand died.

Mania

The Titanic didn't get blown up..

Wow, thanks for that link.......incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom