video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pilot fish:
Isn't that way beyond any dive depth? Never heard of that kind of depth for divers. Is that a misprint? :06:
Record depth of 1032ft, well near enough 1030, who counts 2 ft at that kind of depth? (No i am not suggesting going over your planned depth etc :wink: )

Unless there is some contractual ownership of the video, like it is owned by the expedition, it should be up to the family to determine the release of the video. Personally I think it should be released. We, as divers, could gain knowledge that may prevent a similar accident from happening. Also the video may help novice divers understand the dangers of pushing the limits.

simbrooks:
Record depth of 1032ft, well near enough 1030, who counts 2 ft at that kind of depth? (No i am not suggesting going over your planned depth etc :wink: )

I'm in shock that a diver would attempt to do ANY type physical activity at that depth? What type of narcosis must be happening at that depth? How would anyone have enough air, or spare tanks attached, to do the decompression stops? How long would it take you to get to the surface? I finding this a bit hard to believe. :11:

I would like to ask all of you to withhold comments on the accident itself - there are already 2 threads about it. I wanted to know your opinions on the release of video - this story was an example that I hoped would lead to the more general discussion....
Mania

I agree that this should stay on topic.

mania, why do you think it shouldn't be broadcast?

My vote, No.
Mainly because I don't think it would serve any positive puprose or effect upon the general population other than creating some media sensationalism.

Why not release it? He took the helmet cam down for a reason. As far as it can be used for training and help prevent other accidents, the best way to prevent these accidents is to stay out of these depths. I've heard that a clip has already been aired on the Discovery channel.
JK

The Kraken:
My vote, No.
Mainly because I don't think it would serve any positive puprose or effect upon the general population other than creating some media sensationalism.

You have a point but it is already a media sensation. One down fall is that it may be used by people who want to pad their statistics that diving is ooohhhh "Dangerous". Like Insurance companies.
JK

I think it would be useful as a training tool for tech divers.
I doubt it would do much good for sport air divers.

I don't think there would be much if any benefit from public viewing of the video.

There has been a lot of diving even deeper and working dives. Look at what went into making the North Sea oil fields work.
Then again, if you think sport diving is expensive you don't even want to think about saturation diving.

Kracken's reasoning is very close to mine.
OK. I don't know how many of you have heard about the wreck called Goya. It was a German ship with German refugeess which was bombed by the end of war by Soviets. More than 8 thousand people died - so this is undoubtly the biggest marine catastrophy throughout history.
The ship is in the Batlic Sea at the depth of 262 ft. As it was boarded by German refugees escaping from what used to be III Reich and now is Poland so quite a lot of divers were attempting to dive for artifacts.
Anyway - two years ago German and Polish divers decided to dive to Goya. Baltic Sea is extremly difficult place to dive - cold, bad vis, currents and - which is the worst - fisherman's nets (they don't put buoys here so you never know where and when you can get tangled). All three of them died there.
Polish Navy later on dived to recover their bodies. They made a movie of this action which leaked to internet.
As the result of it was a lot of mean stories written by both - Polish and German media without any understanding of diving issues.
So finally Polish authorities (also lacking the knowledge about diving and mistakes done by these divers) put a lot of restriction on all wreck diving in the Baltic Sea.

Sorry for such a long answer.
The other thing I have in mind are families of both divers and their feelings.
Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom