Trip Report Video - Diving the Fury Shoals (Egypt) from Wadi Lahami, Red Sea Diving Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did you get on with video lights getting in/out Egypt? I've heard some nightmare stories regarding battery confiscation.
I think there was some misunderstanding regarding the batteries.
Egyptian authorities can be quite curious about any any electronic devices which can be used for military purposes, they actually banned drones, and they can be pretty harsh about DPVs or such.

But a normal battery, no way.
I've been there a few times, usually through Hurghada, but sometimes via Cairo, and there was once a time when I was asked about my camera's underwater housing. (And yeah, they confiscated my sun cream which was in the cabin baggage, but there were right in that.)
Apart from that I got one extra inspection for drug testing (just my baggages, nor for me), and they even waved through when my baggaged was flagged at X-ray because of my tiny lead weights which blacked out a quarter of my baggage. :)

So, yeah, you could get an extra inspection, but there will absolutely no problem with your batteries. :)

I think there was some misunderstanding regarding the batteries.
Egyptian authorities can be quite curious about any any electronic devices which can be used for military purposes, they actually banned drones, and they can be pretty harsh about DPVs or such.

But a normal battery, no way.
I've been there a few times, usually through Hurghada, but sometimes via Cairo, and there was once a time when I was asked about my camera's underwater housing. (And yeah, they confiscated my sun cream which was in the cabin baggage, but there were right in that.)
Apart from that I got one extra inspection for drug testing (just my baggages, nor for me), and they even waved through when my baggaged was flagged at X-ray because of my tiny lead weights which blacked out a quarter of my baggage. :)

So, yeah, you could get an extra inspection, but there will absolutely no problem with your batteries. :)
That's good to hear.

Thank you for the gorgeous video! really stunning. My husband and I were at Marsa Shagra for 8 days in November and plan to try Lahami next November. Marsa Shagra was fantastic but we would have liked more boat dives.

Dear Karel,

Thanks for your trip report and the beautiful video!

I dived at Wadi Lahami in 2005, looks like it still is a wonderfully secluded place!

I am thinking of going there early July (sort, I know), with family, including two youngsters who will be doing AOW and OW, respectively.

Couple of questions:

- Were you staying the tents or the "chalets"?

- Could you give more details about the food (not a detail if one is a captive customer!)?

Thanks for any assistance and additional info!

Groetjes,

Rene

Dear Karel,

Thanks for your trip report and the beautiful video!

I dived at Wadi Lahami in 2005, looks like it still is a wonderfully secluded place!

I am thinking of going there early July (sort, I know), with family, including two youngsters who will be doing AOW and OW, respectively.

Couple of questions:

- Were you staying the tents or the "chalets"?

- Could you give more details about the food (not a detail if one is a captive customer!)?

Thanks for any assistance and additional info!

Groetjes,

Rene
Hoi Rene,

Thanks for the compliment! (about the video)

We prefered a private bathroom, so we stayed in a "deluxe challet".
Normally I'm not a big fan of Egyptian (buffet style) food. But I liked the food at Wadi Lahami more then at other Egyptian resorts. More diverse (as in different options every day). And more tasteful.

One thing to consider: Lahami does not have a house reef and there is no shore diving. Therefore Marsa Nakari and Marsa Shagra (the other two Red Sea Diving Safari Resorts) might be better locations for an OW course.

Groetjes,

Bram

Normally I'm not a big fan of Egyptian (buffet style) food

What bothers you about it? (Reason I ask is that I am going to be staying a hotel in Hurghada in February with full board, want to know the concerns please).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom