Red Sea Diving Safari Marsa Shagra Marsa Nakari Wadi Lahami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been but am seriously considering RSDS. Since the operation prohibits diving alone, I would think that Shagra would provide a better chance for buddies. Other benefits of Shagra over Nakiri are its proximity to.Elphinstone, and reportedly a slightly better house reef.

I would like to see a trip report after your April trip if you can.
What do you mean with "prohibits diving alone" ? Around one year ago I was happily diving solo at shagra ?

What do you mean with "prohibits diving alone" ? Around one year ago I was happily diving solo at shagra ?
Perhaps I should have been more clear.
Per the resort, unless a diver has a self-reliant diver certification, he/she must dive with a buddy.

Did you have this certification when you were there?

yeah, I have .. and that`s one of the advantages of this camp especially for photo/videography.. So I can go again in may 2023 :yeahbaby:

Hello Asking for a recommendation:) Im planing a week in April in either Shagra or Nakari. I prefer quiet (Nakari?) however I’m going to travel solo hence will need to find diving buddies during my stay (Shagra better?) What would you recommend?
In this case I recommend Shagra, way more people/groups to choose from.
Nakara is way quiter which would be a con in your case.

@BoltSnap - wondering how your trip went. I love Marsa Shagra and Marsa Nakari - dove there there a lot between 2019-2022, great house reef. Wadi Lahami was closed due to low traffic, partly COVID, but even after restricitons were lifted.

wondering how your trip went.
Never had the chance to go. I made the reservations but just when I was about to send the payment, work called and I had to stay. I am hoping to make it sometime in 23.

I love Marsa Shagra and Marsa Nakari - dove there there a lot between 2019-2022, great house reef.
Thanks Paul for your comments. I am planning my first trip to the Red Sea and trying to decide between Marsa Shagra and a liveaboard. Can you share your thoughts and the differences between the 2 places (Shagra and Nakari)?

Never had the chance to go. I made the reservations but just when I was about to send the payment, work called and I had to stay. I am hoping to make it sometime in 23.
That's too bad. Marsa Shagra and Marsa Nakari are my favorite places to dive in Egypt... I was interested to see how someone else with wider experience judged them.

Thanks Paul for your comments. I am planning my first trip to the Red Sea and trying to decide between Marsa Shagra and a liveaboard. Can you share your thoughts and the differences between the 2 places (Shagra and Nakari)?
Marsa Shagra and Marsa Nakari are both run by Red Sea Diving Safaris. Marsa Shagra is tthe main facilty. It is much larger than either Marsa Nakari or Wadi Lahami. You can stay at Marsa Shagra and do a day trip to Nakari, but Wadi Lahami is further south and would need an overnight to make it worh the trip.

Nakari is less visited, and the general rule is, the further south you go, the better the condition the reefs are in and the fewer people are on them. There are fewer amenities at Nakari, but the diving is terrific. Last time I was there, Wadi Lahami was closed, but if I go back, I will go there. The corals are pristine and there are very few divers.

The dive operations are first class, well-run and Kareem, the dive manager, is a great guy. The instructors are also great. They usually have a female instructor available.

The house reefs at both Nakari and Shagra are excellent. The corals are in good condition, there is abundant sea life; turtles morays, rays, and reef fish. The thing I love best about these places is the unlimited house reef dives combined with a large selection of reasonably priced pay-to-play trip destinations. You can do as many shore dives or zodiac to shore dives as you like... I typically dive 5 times a day; 2 morning, 2 afternoon, and 1 night when I dive there. The underwater navigation is easy and you can stay 5-12 meters and have a great time, or go deeper, all the way to 40 meters. If you are solo, you can almost always find someone who wants to dive with you.

You can dive Elphinstone reef from Marsa Shagra (30 minutes by Zodiac) and a bunch of other interesting places. Shaab Samadai , has dolphins pretty reliably, and Long Canyon is a nice dive as long as there are not too many people.

I understand that the diving in Lahmi (have only been to Shagra and Nakari camps) has a different layout. There are no house reef just off the beach and all diving is from zodiacs. This might swing your choice in one or the other direction. Personally I give a slight edge to Shagra because I find its house reef more varied and better and the proximity to Elphinstone, giving access to a real off shore fortress only 20-25 minutes away.

Back
Top Bottom