vest not as warm as neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For some reason, I had gotten it into my head that something called a LAVAcore vest was going to keep my core warmer than a traditional neoprene vest under a wetsuit. I was a little chilly after 50 mins. in 72 F water with a 5 mm full neoprene suit and Lavacore vest. I believe I am going to have to switch to a traditional neoprene vest. I appreciate the advantage of the Lavacore material being comfortable, easy to don and doff, and having neutral buoyancy (once wetted), but keeping my core warm is more important to me than any of that.

I guess the old adage applies that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Thanks for that comparison. I have been trying to buy a 5mm neo vest as my old one seems to have shrunk..... All the dive shops I have visited are telling me that lavacore, sharkskin, frogskin etc are the way to go, and don't stock the old style neoprene vests. I was rather skeptical about their claims of lavacore etc and based your post I will persist with trying to get a replacement neoprene vest. My old neo vest did the job and I am having a tough time finding a replacement.

I have a lavacore top and have found it offers no noticeable increase in warmth when worn under my suit. Based on my experience I wouldn't recommend or buy another. It is however nice to wear dry on the boat between dives, although I'm sure a cheap sweat shirt would be just as good. YMMV.

I bought a Lavacore hooded vest in Singapore on my way to Lembeh last July, I was surprised at the weird sizing compared to my Neosport (Henderson) neoprene hooded vest. The armholes are almost 30% bigger than the Neosport, but it is not any easier to put on and probably one of the reasons it feels no warmer than a neoprene vest.

The body is also longer than the Neosport of apparently the same size.

As for drying, seems to take 24hrs to dry, even here when air temps are in the high 30C, compared to neoprene. Left out overnight last Friday my 5mm suit was completely dry after around 16 hrs and the Lavacore was still wet around the end of the hood and the bottom of the vest. Both were on hangers and lowest temperature overnight was 19C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom