Very Sad Day......Texas man dies while cave diving in Florida.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe I met these two guys. I was at Little Rivers on Wed (Nov 26) with my buddy who was finishing up his full cave course and his instructor.

As we were gearing up and getting ready to go in the water, some vehicles with Texas plates pulled up. I introduced myself and chatted with one of them briefly. He told me his buddy was a cave instructor, they were from the Dallas area and apparently make several trips to Florida a year.

They were just getting ready to go in when we were coming out and I took a moments to admire the two long body gavin's sitting on the concrete walkway.

Kinda hits close to home...

My condolences to the family.

The article doesn't mention if either divers were cave certified, do you know if they were?

CD...one of the men you met said the other one was a cave instructor, what about himself? Was he cave certified?

My condolences to his family.

My condolences to the family as well. I am not a cave diver nor do I plan on getting certified, this type of accident just sort of confirms the dangers encountered and I'm not to keen on doing such an activity I can't have more control over.

Of course some people say being a U/C officer and dealing with low life scum crazy and dangeous also, but I'll stick to this type of excitement for my adreniline rush.......

Let me point out that I'm not bad mouthing cavers... I know several, all I'm saying is if it's what you like doing then do it. I just don't care for that type of diving.....I'd rather look at some wrecks or reefs. To each there own.......

Again my condolences to the family.

Wildbill:cop:

It would be appreciated if anyone who is in a position to do so could pass on my sympathies to the family, friends and relatives of the deceased diver.

It is always a tragedy to lose a colleague in the sport -

If there is any comfort to be gained on such occasions it is in the knowledge that they died doing something they loved -

and that everyone's knowledge will be advanced by the determination of the circumstances of the accident in due course - something that benefits all of us - and the sport

Add my condolences to family and friends.

I'm not a cave diver and was surprised to read that they apparently had a DPV in the cave with them. Is this a normal practice? It would seem that the possibility of stirring up sediment, as happened here, would make that risky. And to have no reels???

A shame.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
Add my condolences to family and friends.

I'm not a cave diver and was surprised to read that they apparently had a DPV in the cave with them. Is this a normal practice? It would seem that the possibility of stirring up sediment, as happened here, would make that risky. And to have no reels???

A shame.

Dr. Bill

Using DPV's isn't uncommon for long penetrations into caves. They are often used in long systems like at Ginnie. I've never been way back at Little River so i suppose they can be used there too. Peacock Springs State Park doesn't allow them anymore, not that they are needed, the grand traverse of the entire system only takes about 2 hours.

Where did you read that they had no reels? Anyway other than a safety spool you wouldn't need a reel way back there unless you were doing jumps or gaps. I don't carry a reel with me unless i am running the reel from the ow thru the cavern to the main line. We do have several safety spools for the team.

This is very sad. Especially this close to the holidays to loose a family member must be hard. I was notified of this the evening that it happened. Glad to finally know who it was.

Everyone stay safe out there.

Dee once bubbled...
The article doesn't mention if either divers were cave certified, do you know if they were?

CD...one of the men you met said the other one was a cave instructor, what about himself? Was he cave certified?

My condolences to his family.

Dee,

He indicated during our brief talk that both of them were cave certified and that his buddy was also a cave instructor. Apparently this Thanksgiving trip was somewhat of a ritual and I got the impression that they had just arrived and that this would be their first dive of the trip.

When I spoke to the one guy, he had walked down towards the water, I'm assuming to do a site survey, and as he crossed the parking lot by where we were parked I approached him and we talked for a few moments. Soon after that we finished gearing up and got in the water.

When we ended our dive, I was kinda floating around the head pool while my buddy was being debriefed by his instructor (he was on his final day of full cave cert) and I was noticing the equipment down at the waters edge. I was particularily drawn to the scooters, as that will probably be my next major undertaking.

Initially I thought they may have been planning a stage dive, because I recall seeing a couple of cylinders next to the scooters. However while we were gearing down, I saw the other guy walk past wearing what looked like a sidemount rig, so those bottles were probably his.

There are a lot of "what if's" in this for me. I started to move our schedule that day back by 30 minutes so we wouldnt be in a rush to check out of our hotel and get breakfast before starting our dives for the day. Instead, we decided to just grab some donuts on the run enroute to the dive site.

Thirty minutes later and me, my buddy and his instructor would have been almost 900' back when the accident occurred.

I started that dive with 3400 psi and surfaced with 2200. We also had two 50 cft bottles of deco gas at our 70' stop that had 1400 psi remaining when. All told, I came out of that dive with over 200 cft of gas remaining, which was more than 100 cft more than I needed to complete the dive safely.

If our team was in the cave 30 minutes later, with that much reserve gas each, it might have made a difference. I guess I'll never really know for sure, but it is rather weird knowing that I may have been one of the last people to see or speak with them.

I will be very interested in the final results of the accident analysis, if they are ever published. I read something from another friend of theirs promising to share more info as it becomes available on another site.

I have my own observations from the day and I'm sure there will be plenty of speculation from others. I just hope that everyone remembers that this is a tragic loss and tries to act accordingly in their responses.

For what it's worth, to those who view cave diving as a reckless or dangerous sport, lets not forget that an OW diver was lost just a few weeks ago from the keys. Diving in general can be dangerous, and cave diving is not any more dangerous than any other type as long as you follow the rules. I have a suspicion that one of the rules may have been violated, but until the final report comes out, it's only a suspicion.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
I have a suspicion that one of the rules may have been violated, but until the final report comes out, it's only a suspicion.

My observation was confirmed by someone else who was present and is a member of the NACD board. Since I don't know at this point if this is a personal opinion or an official report I will refrain from posting the details and causing more public speculation. However, if someone wishes to discuss it privately you may PM me.

I casually knew both Duwayne and Kane from my LDS. We've been on a few shop outtings together. They were there with my LDS and some students. I will express everyone's condolences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom